June School Board Meeting Notes

Below are notes from the June 29th board meeting. There was also a special board meeting on July 1st that notes are not available for, however it was a very short meeting with the sole agenda item of approving Brian Auckland’s contract. A 3-year contract for Auckland with the state raise was unanimously approved.

Lopez Island School Board Meeting Notes: UNOFFICIAL

June 29, 2016, regular session meeting

Awards/Recognitions

Dawson Hall was awarded his diploma and congratulated by all in attendance.

Nathan Zapalac was awarded (though was not present) the Hope Scholarship of roughly $300.

Financial Update

End of May enrollment had not changed much from April.

There is a state report requirement due within a month.

At 75% through the school year, revenues received are at 74% and expenditures are at 69%.

The fund balance is at roughly $582,000 (due in part to tax revenues recently received).

The first invoice from the contractor will arrive in July and be due in August.

The PROJECTED fund balance is at 9%. Clive Prout expressed concern that by tightly budgeting and noting that the projection continues to increase rather than be a steady line, the school is not spending on great things that would be positives for the students. John Helding noted that it is important to have a projection that is better than expected and to budget conservatively this year because of where we started.

Administrative Reports

Richard Carter for LEA shared an update from last month’s LEA report:

  • Teacher contracts were issued on June 1st with thanks to Stephanie Fowler. Supplemental contracts, however, have not yet been issued.
  • In response to a question about teacher moving budget, Brian Auckland noted that it was shared with staff via “60 seconds” that each teacher would receive 4 hours moving time at a per diem rate. Auckland further noted that due to a loss of grants that impacted the general budget, there is not a line item in the budget to support teacher moving. It was further clarified that there will be additional paid time for teachers to move back in, though specifics are not known at this time.
  • Professional Development and classroom budgets are still a source of frustration for teachers since income (from grants) and expenses are not both reflected.
    • Stephanie Fowler noted that teachers cannot see their funds as one account with withdrawals and deposits.
    • Auckland expressed that he and Janette are working on a solution.
    • Helding asked if a work-around will be ready by the start of school.
    • Fowler offered the ideas that either Janette could give teachers access to the information or Fowler could run a report once/month for teachers.
    • Helding stated that this keeps coming up and there needs to be a process in place by the start of September.
    • Carter noted that Janette is responsive and that Stephanie is always there to go to. He also noted that quite a bit of teacher time is spent learning the system.
    • Helding again stated that there needs to be a date by which this will be sorted out.
    • Carol Steckler suggested using a system in which Stephanie or Eleanor run the report.
  • LEA asked for clarification regarding the source of funding for Professional Development. It is currently funded by a REAP grant, which traditionally was used for summer funds. Using the grant for PD has resulted in a reduction in summer PD allocations. How long has PD been funded by this grant, and how will PD be funded for the 2016-17 school year?
  • Regarding curriculum budget, Janette provided the information that there was $10,000 in the curriculum budget. Of this, elementary spent most of their third whereas MS & HS did not spend their portions.
  • LEA reported resolving one teacher contract issue, and the other contract issue was referred to WEA. Del Guenther asked for specifics on the issue refereed to WEA. Carter deferred the question to Auckland, and Auckland noted that it is not public yet and will be discussed in executive session.
  • The flowchart that LEA (and PAC and the Board) requested is still a point of question. Auckland and Dave Sather noted that it had been shared in Cabinet on May 18th; Carter did not recall seeing a version of the chart as it had been described at the May 25 board meeting. Auckland will send to all involved.

Prout then expressed a desire for clarity in understanding how the LEA reports appear to reflect on the relationship between the administration and the teachers.

  • Prout stated a lack of clarity as to why the board is hearing the level of detail in the LEA reports, and noted that it feels like the board is being used as a vehicle to communicate between LEA and the administration.
  • Steckler noted that the board is hearing consistent problems and concerns. She further noted that this is the second or third meeting that the same issue has been raised.
  • Prout stated that the relationship between LEA and the administration is fundamental and that if it is not working well, that is a cause for concern to the board.
  • Carter noted that communication is one issue and gave the flowchart as an example (that Auckland says he provided it in Cabinet, but Carter did not recognize what Auckland sent as being a flowchart/reflecting what was asked for by LEA).
  • Auckland noted that “in former lives,” he is used to more collaboration with teacher unions prior to board meetings. He then offered a positive example of LEA and admin working together by stating that the accounting piece is being addressed.
  • Helding then asked both Auckland and Carter if they feel the relationship between LEA and admin is collaborative or more transactional.
    • Auckland replied that it feels more transactional and that what is coming from LEA feels like “gotcha communication,” but he noted that he does not feel that is LEA’s intent.
    • Carter expressed that he cannot speak for membership and so does not know how to respond. But he did note that in terms of collaboration, LEA initiated monthly meetings with admin in early 2015 as well as sending the superintendent a draft of the LEA report each month prior to the board meetings.
  • Carter noted confusion as to why the level of detail is a concern for the board.
  • Steckler stated that if the board heard more of the process (e.g., we’ve met and here was the plan agreed upon), it would help.
  • Helding noted that there is a level of detail and a concern about a lack of resolution.
  • Prout stated that he is struggling to understand the subtext of what LEA is saying in its reports.
  • Helding concluded by stating that board members want a constructive working relationship between LEA and the administration and want to continue to receive detailed reports from LEA.

Sather shared his Principal Report.

  • He recognized Lorri and Kwiaht for the science program.
  • He also shared that Mike Hanby will be the new Athletic Director, coming from Puyallup/Tacoma and well-qualified.
  • The lack of senior pranks this year was recognized, and the board expressed gratitude and appreciation to the senior class.
  • Ashi Bartolucci was awarded “Girls on Ice” for scientific research and will be presenting her experience to the community.
  • Sather bid a fond farewell to Jen Romo and Diane Mayer, as they each have found work at other districts. Romo will be teaching in a STEM program in Spokane, and Mayer will be teaching in Oak Harbor.
  • Sather recognized Jaimie Terada for her AP training for the upcoming AP art class she will teach.
  • Sather noted that he is applying for an AP computer grant.

Auckland shared his Principal and Superintendent Reports.

  • He recognized Lisa Geddes for her ELL training.
  • Auckland shared that Becca Hamilton approached him regarding interest in the 3rd-5th grade math position and was unanimously selected to fill that position. The Kindergarten position is now posted.
    • Sarah Rabel asked for clarity on the hiring process, and Auckland shared that after the first round of interviews and the person selected turning the job down, the job was then reposted and any candidates who previously applied would then need to apply again to be considered. Becca, however, did not have to go through the interview process as she was reassigned given that she already works for the district.
  • Inez Black is hiring students for yard work, paying them an hourly rate, and then donating the same hourly rate to the garden program at the school.
  • Auckland was offered the opportunity to have the school take over the Lions Club’s 4th of July lunch. Auckland and Shannon along with the rest of the kitchen and garden staff will do a small gyro luncheon on the 4th to benefit the garden program.

The school renovation project is underway. Ground was broken last week. Vinny Kramer, Rande Gruenwald, and Mike Hobi have been hired to work with the crew. There have been some major bumps (water & electrical/internet), but the crew has handled things efficiently and effectively. Things are ahead of schedule in that most secondary rooms are set for demo and remodeling to be completed by the start of school.

The remainder of the meeting was dedicated to approving Policy 1610 (conflict of interest policy), accepting (with regrets and great appreciation for their gifts to our school and community) the resignation letters from Romo and Mayer, and approving contracts.

Notes taken by Sarah Rabel for PAC.

###

A continuación se presentan las notas de la reunión 29 de placa de junio. También hubo una reunión especial bordo el 1 de julio que las notas no están disponibles para, sin embargo, fue una muy breve reunión con el tema del programa exclusivo de aprobar el contrato de Brian Auckland. Un contrato de 3 años de Auckland, con el aumento del estado fue aprobada por unanimidad.

López Island School Board Meeting Notas: NO OFICIAL

29 de de junio de, 2016, reunión período ordinario de sesiones

Premios / Reconocimientos

Dawson Hall fue galardonado con el diploma y la felicitación de todos los asistentes.

Nathan Zapalac fue galardonado (aunque no estaba presente) la Beca Esperanza de alrededor de $ 300.

actualización financiera

Fin de la inscripción de mayo no había cambiado mucho desde abril.

Hay un informe requisito del estado debido en el plazo de un mes.

En el 75% hasta el año escolar, los ingresos recibidos se encuentran en el 74% y los gastos son en un 69%.

El saldo del fondo es aproximadamente a $ 582.000 (debido en parte a los ingresos fiscales ha recibido recientemente).

La primera factura del contratista llegará en julio y en agosto se deba.

El saldo de los fondos proyectado es del 9%. Clive Prout expresó su preocupación por que la fuerza de presupuestos y observando que la proyección continúa aumentando en lugar de ser una línea constante, la escuela no es el gasto en grandes cosas que serían positivos para los estudiantes. John Helding señaló que es importante contar con una proyección que es mejor de lo esperado y con el presupuesto de forma conservadora este año debido al punto de partida.

Los informes administrativos

Richard Carter por LEA compartió una actualización del informe de la LEA del mes pasado:

contratos de los maestros fueron emitidos el 1 de junio con gracias a Stephanie Fowler. contratos suplementarios, sin embargo, aún no han sido emitidos.
En respuesta a una pregunta sobre el maestro de presupuesto en movimiento, Brian Auckland constar que no se comparte con el personal a través de “60 segundos” que cada maestro recibiría 4 horas de tiempo se mueve a una tarifa diaria. Auckland señaló además que debido a una pérdida de las subvenciones que impactaron en el presupuesto general, no hay una partida en el presupuesto para apoyar en movimiento maestro. También se aclaró que no habrá pago de tiempo adicional para que los maestros se mueven de nuevo, aunque la directiva no se conocen en este momento.
Los presupuestos de desarrollo y del aula profesionales siguen siendo una fuente de frustración para los maestros ya que los ingresos (de donaciones) y los gastos no son ambos reflejados.
Stephanie Fowler señaló que los maestros no pueden ver a sus fondos de una cuenta con retiros y depósitos.
Auckland expresó que él y Janette están trabajando en una solución.
Helding preguntó si un trabajo en torno estará listo para el inicio de clases.
Fowler ofreció las ideas que ya sea Janette podría dar a los maestros acceso a la información o Fowler podría ejecutar un informe una vez / mes para los profesores.
Helding indicó que esto se mantiene por delante y no tiene que ser un proceso en el lugar por el inicio de septiembre.
Carter señaló que Janette es sensible y que Stephanie siempre está ahí para ir a. También señaló que un poco de tiempo maestro está dedicado al aprendizaje del sistema.
Helding declaró una vez más que es necesario que haya una fecha en la que este se resolverá.
Carol Steckler sugirió el uso de un sistema en el que Stephanie o Eleanor ejecutar el informe.
LEA solicita una aclaración con respecto a la fuente de financiación para el desarrollo profesional. En la actualidad está financiado por una subvención REAP, que tradicionalmente se ha utilizado para los fondos de verano. El uso de la subvención para PD se ha traducido en una reducción en la asignación de PD de verano. ¿Cuánto tiempo ha sido financiado por la EP esta subvención, y cómo va a ser financiado PD para el año escolar 2016-17?
En cuanto a presupuesto de plan de estudios, Janette proporcionó la información que había $ 10.000 en el presupuesto de plan de estudios. De esta cantidad, primaria pasó la mayor parte de su tercer mientras que MS & SA no pasan sus porciones.
LEA informó resolver un problema contrato maestro y el otro tema contrato se refiere a la AEM. Del Guenther preguntó para obtener información específica sobre el tema arbitrado a la AEM. Carter aplazó la cuestión de Auckland, Auckland y señaló que aún no es pública y será discutido en una sesión ejecutiva.
El diagrama de flujo que LEA (y el PAC y la Junta) solicitaron sigue siendo un punto de interrogación. Auckland y Dave Sather señaló que había sido compartida en el Consejo de Ministros el 18 de mayo; Carter no recuerda haber visto una versión de la tabla, ya que había sido descrita en la reunión de la junta 25 de mayo. Auckland enviará a todos los involucrados.
Prout a continuación, expresó su deseo de claridad en la comprensión de cómo los informes LEA parecen reflexionar sobre la relación entre la administración y los maestros.

Prout indicó una falta de claridad en cuanto a la razón por la junta está oyendo el nivel de detalle en los informes de la LEA, y señaló que se siente como si la tarjeta está siendo utilizada como un vehículo para la comunicación entre la administración y la LEA.
Steckler tomó nota de que la junta está oyendo problemas y preocupaciones constantes. Señaló, además, que esta es la segunda o tercera reunión que la misma cuestión se ha planteado.
Prout declaró que la relación entre el distrito y la administración es fundamental y que, si no está funcionando bien, que es un motivo de preocupación para la junta.
Carter señaló que la comunicación es una cuestión y dio el diagrama de flujo como un ejemplo (que Auckland dice que siempre que en el gabinete, pero Carter no reconoció lo Auckland envió como un diagrama de flujo / reflejando lo que fue solicitada por LEA).
Auckland señaló que “en vidas anteriores”, que se utiliza para una mayor colaboración con los sindicatos de maestros anteriores a las reuniones del consejo. Luego ofreció un ejemplo positivo de LEA y admin trabajando juntos al afirmar que la pieza de contabilidad se está abordando.
Helding continuación, solicitó a ambas Auckland y Carter si sienten que la relación entre la LEA y de administración es de colaboración o más transaccional.
Auckland respondió que se siente más transaccional y que lo que viene de la LEA se siente como “comunicación Gotcha”, pero señaló que él no se siente que es la intención de la LEA.
Carter expresó que él no puede hablar en nombre de miembro y así no sabe cómo responder. Pero sí, tenga en cuenta que, en términos de colaboración, LEA inició reuniones mensuales con admin en principios de 2015, así como el envío de un proyecto de superintendente de la LEA informe cada mes antes de las reuniones de la junta.
Carter señaló confusión en cuanto a por qué el nivel de detalle es una preocupación para la junta.
Steckler dijo que si la junta escuchó más del proceso (por ejemplo, nos hemos conocido y aquí fue el plan acordado), sería de ayuda.
Helding señalar que hay un nivel de detalle y una preocupación acerca de la falta de resolución.
Prout indicó que él está luchando para entender el trasfondo de lo que está diciendo LEA en sus informes.
Helding concluyó afirmando que los miembros de la junta quieren una relación de trabajo constructiva entre la LEA y la administración y quieren seguir recibiendo informes detallados de la LEA.
Sather compartió su Informe Principal.

Reconoció Lorri y Kwiaht para el programa de la ciencia.
También compartió que Mike Hanby será el nuevo Director de Deportes, procedente de Puyallup / Tacoma y bien calificado.
La falta de bromas altos este año fue reconocido, y la junta expresó su agradecimiento y reconocimiento a la clase mayor.
Ashi Bartolucci fue galardonado con “Girls on Ice” para la investigación científica y presentará su experiencia para la comunidad.
Sather una calurosa despedida a Jen Romo y Diane Mayer, ya que cada uno han encontrado trabajo en otros distritos. Romo estará enseñando en un programa STEM en Spokane, y Mayer estará enseñando en Oak Harbor.
Sather reconocido Jaimie Terada para su formación AP para la próxima clase de arte AP que enseñará.
Sather observó que él está solicitando una subvención equipo AP.
Auckland compartió su principal, e informa Superintendente.

Reconoció Lisa Geddes para su formación ELL.
Auckland compartió que Becca Hamilton se acercó a él en relación con el interés en la posición 3 al 5 grado de matemáticas y fue seleccionado por unanimidad para ocupar esa posición. La posición Kinder ahora se publica.
Sarah Rabel pidió claridad sobre el proceso de contratación, y Auckland compartió que después de la primera ronda de entrevistas y la persona seleccionada girando el trabajo hacia abajo, después se volvió a publicar el trabajo y los candidatos que solicitaron previamente sería entonces necesario aplicar de nuevo para tener en cuenta. Becca, sin embargo, no tiene que pasar por el proceso de la entrevista que le reasignaron dado que ella ya trabaja para el distrito.
Inez Negro está contratando a los estudiantes para trabajar en el jardín, que pagar un precio por hora, y luego donar la misma tarifa por hora para el programa de jardín en la escuela.
Auckland se le ofreció la oportunidad de que la escuela se haga cargo el 4 de julio en el almuerzo del Club de Leones. Auckland y Shannon junto con el resto del personal de la cocina y el jardín va a hacer un pequeño almuerzo giroscopio en el cuarto de beneficiarse del programa de jardín.
El proyecto de renovación de la escuela está en marcha. La tierra estaba lista la semana pasada. Vinny Kramer, Rande Gruenwald, y Mike Hobi han sido contratados para trabajar con el equipo. Ha habido algunos golpes importantes (agua y eléctrica / Internet), pero el equipo ha manejado las cosas de manera eficiente y eficaz. Las cosas están antes de lo previsto en los que las habitaciones más secundarios se establecen para la demostración y remodelación para ser completado por el comienzo de las clases.

El resto de la reunión se dedicó a la aprobación de la Política 1610 (política de conflicto de intereses), aceptar (con pesar y gran aprecio por sus dones a nuestra escuela y comunidad) las cartas de renuncia de Romo y Mayer, y la aprobación de los contratos.

Las notas tomadas por Sarah Rabel para la PAC.

 

May PAC minutes

Lopez K-12 Parent/Guardian Meeting Minutes

May 11, 2016, 5:30-7:00pm

Trisha Arnott, Jack Tate, Karly Leyde, Sarah Rabel, Anne Auckland, Carolyn McGown, Ellyn Goodrich, Dave Sather, Brian Auckland, Jeanna Carter, Kathy Booth, Jen Ratza, Candace Downey, Jennifer & Ed Sanford, Wendy Stevenson, and Crystal Rovente gathered in the school library to discuss the below topics.

Dave Sather opened the meeting with a secondary schedule update: There are 4 drafts of the secondary schedule that will go to secondary staff on May 13th. The schedule will then be discussed at Tuesday’s collaboration. Once a schedule is chosen, Dave and Jeanna will work out the specifics. The goal is to have the schedule ready for parents/guardians to view by the end of the month.

The aim is to achieve a 7-period schedule, but there are numerous contributing factors involved.

Brian Auckland then shared an update on the school remodel: Brian shared the boards that illustrate some details of the remodel. He also explained the D-form process that the school has applied for. This would offer the school an additional $1.5 million in matching funds to be used (only, due to state regulations) for secondary spaces.

The timeline is still on target: 5 contractors were on site the other week, and 4 of them are submitting bids. Final bids are due next week, and those go to the PDAT committee for review. Once a bid is chosen, the contractor will begin setting up for the construction to start directly after school ends in June.

Heavier construction (e.g., sewer, MPR, & kitchen) will take place during the summer. Classroom remodels will occur in “banks” of approximately 4 classrooms every 2 months. During such times, students and staff will be given other spaces to hold classes in. The new school will open September, 2017.

Questions from parents:

  • How will changes/impacts/schedule of the remodel be communicated to parents/guardians? Brian explained that there will be meetings at the start of the school year as well as emails to communicate any changes.
  • Are the contractors local, or are they all from off-island? Brian noted that the general contractors can, and will, subcontract out to local, on-island professionals and that they are trying to take advantage of local expertise as much as possible.
  • What is the status of the playground remodel? Dave shared that while the Healthy Kids Grant does allow for things like the hoop house to be completed and support for the kitchen remodel, it did not include funding for playground equipment.

Sarah Rabel then opened the discussion of Elementary Intensives and Discovery Days with a brief summary of its history (choice week as a parent-group led and organized activity that then evolved into discovery days offered twice/year. This then shifted to once/year for 5 days, and is now 3 days and connected to elementary intensives.)

Anne Auckland, Ellyn Goodrich, & Karly Leyde offered in February to help with Discovery Days. They came up with several ideas and a way to include student input. However, they were not able to move forward until elementary intensives were set. That did not occur until quite recently, and so the Discovery Day process, as Karly noted, will not be what it could have been. However, there are still several exciting and fun ideas that the group will now pursue.

Parents then expressed their concerns and confusion around the intensive sheet and sign-up process. Comments included:

  • The form was not a clear communication and needs improvement. It was unclear that not all students would be placed in an intensive. It was unclear that if a student did not like the intensive options, they could wait for Discovery Day options. It was unclear that if a student turned their form in asap, that that did not necessarily secure any of their choices. It was difficult for some students to understand why their peers in the same grade were chosen for an intensive but certain students were not despite having forms in before the deadline.
  • Overall fairness is an issue when we get selective about a group. Doing so at this young age impacts student bonding in the future as well.
  • A suggestion is to only hold intensives for 3rd-5th graders and Discovery Days only for K-2nd
  • A request is to track which students are not selected for off-island trips each year so as to ensure that no student is left out continually. (One couple expressed frustration and sadness that their child has not been selected for 3 years in a row).
  • Some of the students who were not placed in an intensive this year felt excluded and hurt.
  • Why is the 5th grade intensive not Islandwood like last year?
  • How many students turned in forms and were told no? Were there K-2nd graders who got to go instead of 3rd-5th graders?
  • If parents knew at the start how much space was limited by, they could have approached it differently.
  • One parent shared their experience as an 8th grader who was an at-risk student and who would have, she felt, gone down a very different path had she been told she wasn’t allowed to go. As it was, there were requirements (attendance, grades, etc) to be able to go on the trip, and she met them. The trip changed her life.
  • This feels like a birthday party that everyone except one child has been invited to. It doesn’t feel fair.
  • In all fairness, there needs to be equity as to all students being allowed to participate and benefit from trips.
  • Intensives are about teachers’ passions, and it’s important to remember that. A teacher’s passion can include wanting to bring younger students on a trip.

Brian then responded to the concerns and questions, owning and apologizing for the lack of communication on the Intensive form. He noted that the intent was an enriching experience for 3rd-5th graders but that teachers requested being able to also take younger students. He also noted that he sought to get the Intensive information out earlier than last year, but by doing so, it did not include the Discovery Day information.

Parents asked how the students going on intensives are selected. Brian replied that staff discusses whether a specific student can handle a 3-day excursion and considers group dynamics and what group of students would most benefit from and succeed in a 3-day excursion. Parents expressed that this felt like discrimination and that there should have been conversations with impacted families.

Parents asked what is causing the limit of the number of students allowed on a given intensive. Brian noted funding, number of staff managing the number of students, and transportation. Parents expressed an eagerness to help support teachers through donations, chaperoning, and transportation.

Brian asked the group how we solve this. Parents noted that selection needs to be fair and that the only way to do that is by grade level. Parents asked for transparency and a redo as well as to communicate directly with parents/guardians and not via students.

The redo solution proposed included:

  • an email to parents/guardians asap explaining that due to the Intensive form being unclear and not having the Discovery Day options, there will be a new, complete form coming out in approximately 2 weeks.
  • The form will have all options and will have clear parameters – if an option can only take X number of students, that will be noted. If an option could take more students but only with parent support, that could be noted.
  • The form will include an opportunity for parents/guardians to offer to help and how they would like to (transportation, financial, chaperoning).

Ellyn Goodrich then shared some exciting possibilities for Discovery Days (that she and others will pursue), noting that community members can specify parameters that would need to be honored:

  • sports
  • science experiments
  • crafts/sewing
  • baking
  • woodworking
  • juggling
  • puppetry
  • archery
  • lego robotics

Jeanna Carter shared DVSAS’ mission statement and that Kristine is wanting to know what parents/guardians want in terms of educational opportunities. Parents noted that a one-day meeting would be much preferred to a multiple-day workshop.

Jeanna also shared that she is available for any questions and need for information on support groups and education on LGBTQ. She expressed that this in a more open society and in our community, parents and children are talking more about sexual identities and are looking for resources.

The meeting adjourned at 7:00pm.

###

López K-12 Padres / Guardianes Acta de la Reunión

11 de mayo de 2016, 5: 30-7: 00 pm

Trisha Arnott, Jack Tate, Karly Leyde, Sarah Rabel, Anne Auckland, Carolyn McGown, Ellyn Goodrich, Dave Sather, Brian Auckland, Jeanna Carter, Kathy Booth, Jen Ratza, Candace Downey, Jennifer & Ed Sanford, Wendy Stevenson, y Crystal Rovente se reunieron en la biblioteca de la escuela para discutir los temas a continuación.

Sather de Dave abrió la reunión con una actualización de programación secundaria: Hay 4 borradores del programa de secundaria que irá al personal secundaria el 13 de mayo. El horario será a continuación se examinará en la colaboración del martes. Una vez que se elige un horario, Dave y Jeanna saldrán bien los detalles. El objetivo es tener el programa listo para los padres / tutores para ver el final del mes.

El objetivo es lograr un horario de 7-periodo, pero hay numerosos factores que contribuyen involucrados.

Brian Auckland compartió una actualización de la remodelación de la escuela: Brian compartió las tablas que ilustran algunos detalles de la remodelación. También explicó el proceso D-forma que la escuela ha solicitado. Esto ofrecería la escuela un adicional de $ 1.5 millones en fondos de contrapartida para ser utilizado (solamente, debido a que las reglamentaciones) para espacios secundarios.

La línea de tiempo es todavía a puerta: 5 contratistas estaban en el lugar de la otra semana, y 4 de ellos son la presentación de ofertas. Las ofertas finales se deben próxima semana, y los que van a la comisión PDAT para su revisión. Una vez que se elige una oferta, el contratista empiece a configurar para la construcción para iniciar directamente después de la escuela termina en junio.

construcción más pesada (por ejemplo, alcantarillado, MPR, y cocina) se llevará a cabo durante el verano. remodela el aula ocurrirán en “bancos” de aproximadamente 4 aulas cada 2 meses. En tales ocasiones, los estudiantes y el personal se darán otros espacios para impartir clases. La nueva escuela se abrirá de septiembre de 2017.

Las preguntas de los padres:

¿Cómo afectarán los cambios / impactos / calendario de la remodelación se comunicarán a los padres / tutores? Brian explicó que habrá reuniones en el inicio del año escolar, así como mensajes de correo electrónico para comunicar cualquier cambio.
Son los contratistas locales, o son todos de fuera de la isla? Brian observó que los contratistas generales pueden, y serán, subcontratar a los profesionales locales, en la isla y que están tratando de tomar ventaja de la experiencia local tanto como sea posible.
¿Cuál es el estado de la remodelación del patio? David compartió que si bien la subvención de Healthy Kids sí permite cosas como la casa del aro para ser completado y el apoyo para la remodelación de la cocina, que no incluía fondos para juegos infantiles.
Sarah Rabel a continuación, se abrió la discusión de los Intensivos de primaria y Discovery Días con un breve resumen de su semana de la historia (elección como padre-grupo llevó y la actividad organizada que luego se convirtió en días de descubrimiento que ofrece dos veces / año. Esto entonces se movió a una vez / año por 5 días, y es ahora 3 días y conectado a los intensivos elementales.)

Anne Auckland, Ellyn Goodrich, y Karly Leyde ofrecieron en febrero para ayudar con Discovery Días. Ellos vinieron con varias ideas y una forma de incluir la participación de los estudiantes. Sin embargo, no fueron capaces de avanzar hasta que se establecieron intensivos elementales. Eso no ocurrió hasta hace muy poco, por lo que el proceso de Día del Descubrimiento, como se ha señalado Karly, no se lo que podría haber sido. Sin embargo, todavía hay varias ideas interesantes y divertidos que el grupo ahora a seguir.

Luego, los padres expresaron su preocupación y confusión en torno a la hoja intensiva y el proceso de inscripción. Los comentarios incluyeron:

La forma no era una comunicación clara y necesita mejoras. No estaba claro que no todos los estudiantes serían colocados en una intensiva. No estaba claro que si un estudiante no le gustaban las opciones intensas, que podrían esperar a que las opciones Día del Descubrimiento. No estaba claro que si un estudiante se convirtió en su forma lo antes posible, que eso no necesariamente seguro cualquiera de sus opciones. Fue difícil para algunos estudiantes a entender por qué sus compañeros en el mismo grado fueron elegidos para un estudiantes intensivos, pero algunos no eran a pesar de tener formas antes de la fecha límite.
equidad global es un problema cuando tenemos selectivo sobre un grupo. Si lo hace, a esta temprana edad impactos unión de los estudiantes en el futuro también.
Una sugerencia es que sólo se mantenga intensivos de grado 3 al 5 y Discovery Días sólo para K-2 de
Una solicitud es para un seguimiento de los estudiantes que no son seleccionados para los viajes fuera de la isla cada año con el fin de garantizar que ningún estudiante se quede fuera continuamente. (Una pareja expresó su frustración y tristeza que su hijo no ha sido seleccionado durante 3 años consecutivos).
Algunos de los estudiantes que no fueron colocados en un uso intensivo de este año se sintieron excluidos y dolor.
¿Por qué el 5º grado intensiva no IslandWood como el año pasado?
¿Cuántos estudiantes se convirtió en formas y se les dijo que no? Hubo K-2do grado que llegaron a ir en lugar de grado 3 al 5?
Si los padres sabían al principio la cantidad de espacio estaba limitado por, podrían haber abordado de manera diferente.
Uno de los padres compartieron su experiencia como estudiante de 8º grado que era un estudiante en riesgo y que tendría, se sentía, bajado un camino muy diferente si hubiera sido dicho que no se le permitió ir. Así las cosas, había requisitos (asistencia, calificaciones, etc.) para poder ir en el viaje, y la manera que se encontraron. El viaje cambió su vida.
Esto se siente como una fiesta de cumpleaños que todos, excepto un niño ha sido invitado a. No se siente justo.
Para ser justos, es necesario que haya equidad como a todos los estudiantes que se les permita participar y beneficiarse de los viajes.
Intensivos son las pasiones de los profesores, y es importante recordar que. La pasión de un profesor puede incluir querer llevar a los estudiantes más jóvenes en un viaje.
Brian continuación, respondió a las inquietudes y preguntas, poseer y pidiendo disculpas por la falta de comunicación en la forma intensiva. Indicó que la intención era una experiencia enriquecedora para los alumnos del 3 al 5, pero que los maestros solicitó poder también llevar a los estudiantes más jóvenes. También señaló que se trató de obtener la información intensiva a cabo antes que el año pasado, pero al hacerlo, que no incluye la información del Descubrimiento.

Los padres se les preguntó cómo se seleccionan los estudiantes que van en los intensivos. Brian respondió que el personal discute si un estudiante específico puede manejar una excursión de 3 días y considera la dinámica de grupo y qué grupo de estudiantes se beneficiarían más de y tener éxito en una excursión de 3 días. Los padres expresaron que esto se sentía como discriminación y que no debería haber sido conversaciones con las familias afectadas.

Los padres preguntaron qué está causando el límite del número de alumnos que pueden introducirse en una intensiva dado. Brian tomó nota de la financiación, el número de personas que gestionan el número de alumnos, y el transporte. Los padres expresaron su deseo de ayudar a los profesores de apoyo a través de donaciones, acompañar, y el transporte.

Brian le pidió al grupo cómo resolvemos esto. Los padres señalaron que la selección tiene que ser justo y que la única manera de hacerlo es por nivel de grado. Los padres pidieron transparencia y un hacer de nuevo, así como para comunicarse directamente con los padres / tutores y no a través de los estudiantes.

La solución de rehacer propuestos incluyen:

un correo electrónico a los padres / tutores que explican lo antes posible que debido a la forma intensiva siendo poco clara y no tener las opciones Día del Descubrimiento, habrá una nueva forma, completa que sale en aproximadamente 2 semanas.
La forma tendrá todas las opciones y tendrá parámetros claros – si es una opción sólo puede tomar un número X de los estudiantes, que se observó. Si una opción podría tomar más estudiantes, pero sólo con el apoyo de los padres, que podrían tenerse en cuenta.
El formulario incluirá una oportunidad para que los padres / tutores que ofrecen para ayudar y cómo les gustaría (transporte, financieros, de compañía).
Ellyn Goodrich compartió algunas posibilidades interesantes para el descubrimiento Días (que ella y otros proseguirá), señalando que miembros de la comunidad pueden especificar los parámetros que deberían ser honrado:

Deportes
experimentos científicos
manualidades / coser
horneando
carpintería
malabares
títeres
tiro al arco
robótica Lego
Jeanna Carter compartió misión DVSAS ‘y que Kristine es querer saber lo que quieren los padres / tutores en términos de oportunidades educativas. Los padres señalaron que una reunión de un día sería muy preferible a un taller de varios días.

Jeanna también compartió que ella está disponible para cualquier pregunta y la necesidad de información sobre grupos de apoyo y educación sobre LGBTQ. Ella expresó que esta en una sociedad más abierta y en nuestra comunidad, los padres y los niños están hablando más acerca de las identidades sexuales y están en busca de recursos.

Se suspende la reunión a las 7:00 pm.

From your School Counselor

An insightful article on parenting our teenagers:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/the-best-way-to-fight-with-a-teenager/?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-2&module=inside-nyt-region&_r=0

Another excellent article, this one on meditation plus running as a treatment for depression:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/meditation-plus-running-as-a-treatment-for-depression/?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Health

 

###

Un artículo profundo sobre la crianza de nuestros adolescentes:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/the-best-way-to-fight-with-a-teenager/?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-2&module=inside-nyt-region&_r=0

Otra excelente artículo, éste en la meditación, además se ejecuta como un tratamiento para la depresión:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/meditation-plus-running-as-a-treatment-for-depression/?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Health

Host a foreign exchange student!

From Stephanie Fowler:

I am looking for families to open their homes and hearts to hosting an exchange student!

Are you nervous about the unknown? Contact me and we can set up a meeting time. 

I would be happy to answer questions for your family!

What country would you like to learn more about their culture, food, government and even their language?

 I have students from Germany, Spain, Ukraine, France, Japan, China, South Korea, Thailand, Mexico, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Portugal, West Bank, Italy, Tajikistan, Israel, Denmark, Moldova, Mongolia, Georgia, Canada, Sweden, Egypt, Taiwan and Pakistan!

Want a male student? I have many to place!

Would you rather have a female? I have many females waiting for host families too!

Stephanie Fowler

World Heritage Area Representative

(360) 468-2598

(425) 312-9018

sassief84@gmail.com

<foreign exchange 1.jpg>

 

###

Busco familias para abrir sus hogares y corazones para acoger un estudiante de intercambio!

¿Está nervioso acerca de lo desconocido? Ponte en contacto conmigo y podemos establecer un tiempo de reunión.

Yo estaría encantado de responder a las preguntas de su familia!

¿En qué país le gustaría aprender más acerca de su cultura, la comida, el gobierno e incluso su lengua?

Tengo estudiantes de Alemania, España, Ucrania, Francia, Japón, China, Corea del Sur, Tailandia, México, Armenia, Kazajstán, Portugal, Cisjordania, Italia, Tayikistán, Israel, Dinamarca, Moldavia, Mongolia, Georgia, Canadá, Suecia, Egipto, Taiwán y Pakistán!

¿Quieres un estudiante masculino? Tengo a muchos a poner!

¿Prefiere que una hembra? Tengo muchas mujeres a la espera de las familias de acogida también!

February PAC Meeting Minutes

Lopez K-12 Parent/Guardian Meeting Minutes

February 23, 2016, 5:00-6:30pm

Ingrid Vliet, Trisha Arnott, Anne Burton, Jeanna Carter, Stephanie Froning, Ali Nicol, Abigail Prout, Karly Leyde, Sarah Rabel, Nikola Chopra, Kathy Booth, Dave Sather, Brian Auckland, Richard Tetu, & John Helding gathered in the multi-purpose room to discuss the K-12 schedule.

Abigail Prout opened with the ground rules for engaging on the topic:

  • Nobody gets to be wrong
  • Seek first to understand
  • Use respectful “I” statements
  • Our jobs are to listen and to speak our truths

The group then shared questions and initial thoughts on the current K-12 schedule. Comments included:

  • Parents and students need to be able to plan ahead (with academic paths/classes) and not just year by year. Parents need to know what direction their child(ren) need to be going in for their individual academic paths.
  • How can the schedule become more than just bare bones and meeting only minimum graduation requirements?
  • Last year there were a lot of last minute changes (to the schedule) and it was very frustrating.
  • As an elementary parent, what is homeroom for?
  • As an elementary parent, it’s important to know what to be preparing for and know what’s coming up in secondary. Class meetings with the school counselor would be helpful.
  • Parents and students need to know what are the graduation requirements and what is expected of incoming high-schoolers well beforehand.
  • Concerned about the schedule not meeting graduation requirements AND students’ interests within class offerings.
  • Class offerings have shrunk and graduation requirements have increased over recent years. The schedule is at a minimum and there is no room for making up classes (if a student fails) or for taking classes that they miss. The only option within the school to balance this is Parent Partner, and not all students do well with on-line learning. How does the school meet students’ needs within the school? How can we gain more flexibility within the schedule?
  • The schedule caters to core classes; this negatively impacts college applications.
  • Online classes via Parent Partner are a positive to help students branch out beyond the schedules’ offerings.
  • Parent Partner having a waiting list is an issue.
  • How do we get all the kids’ needs met with the staffing that the school has?
  • The admin wants to have courses that are interesting and that students want to take.
  • The schedule is like multi-dimensional chess: you move one piece and several others are impacted. We need to take a very high view and stay clear of personal agendas.
  • The admin wants to meet the needs of students with the current staff and to create an understanding around this together.

Dave Sather then shared a powerpoint presentation on the complexities and factors of the Lopez School’s K-12 schedule. The powerpoint is attached.

Abigail then facilitated a second sharing of questions and concerns given that the group now had a shared basis of the points explained by Dave. The following comments emerged:

  • Why does our school not offer summer school? This could help balance the constricted schedule. (Brian Auckland & Dave Sather: Partially because of the highly qualified requirement for teachers, and partially because of limited Title One funding.)
  • With all the requirements and limitations around the schedule, what influence do we as parents/guardians have? (Brian Auckland: That’s difficult to answer because there are so many requirements. Even Dave and I only have a sliver of influence. In the whole picture, we really only have a small piece that we can influence. There is no perfect schedule.)
  • OSPI website is a source of info such as for graduation requirements. (Parents noted that OSPI is a confusing website.)
  • The school operates under a K-12 schedule, but what if we thought outside that box and considered elementary and secondary schedules as separate to allow for more flexibility? (Dave & Brian: We’re a symbiotic system. You’d have to split the staff, and that’s more expensive. With the expense, there would be fewer choices instead of more.)
  • Last year, there was a lot of scrambling to meet graduation requirements. Could there be checkpoints along the way for students in the form of person-to-person meetings with Jeanna? Parents and students also need individual class meetings (K-12) with Jeanna.
  • Nurturing the whole child makes our school unique. As a parent, I’d like to help the school enrich this approach and build community. Fundraising is one way as is volunteering and connecting with the admin. (PAC has a volunteer committee that is working on volunteerism.)
  • Why do we have five different enrichments (at the elementary level)? What if we had fewer? (Richard Tetu: I’d hate to see this because we already lost foreign language in the elementary, and that loss impacts foreign language in middle & high school.)
  • We have choices around the budget and what the priorities are. We have choices and ways to be flexible and creative within the requirements.
  • Elementary parents would like to meet with Jeanna to consider students’ academic tracks.
  • The 150 hours requirement going away gives much more freedom to go back to a 7-period schedule. With such, students’ academic tracks can better be realized. Currently there is less and less room for students’ passions.
  • Adding classes means less time per class and yet teachers would have the same amount of prep time.
  • We’ve been cheating for years (with the schedule) and not paid the piper. The school has combined classes in order to not have to hire more teachers. We’re very creative, but we had luxuries in years past that we no longer have.
  • Student FTE went down (highest student FTE was 306 in the past) which also impacts the budget. Parents can help us create a school that people want to be in.
  • It’s a struggle to keep kids in classes by 11th/12th grade if they have been taking high school classes in middle school.
  • It’s a “chicken vs the egg” problem. The board wants to keep a strong school. Certain students need certain academic situations. We are seen as an extraordinary school in the public school world.
  • The fact that students can move (ahead in math, for example) throws another wrench into the schedule mix.

Abigail concluded in interest of keeping the meeting from going over the timeframe. She expressed the shared hope that parents feel more curious about how mandates and details impact students, the schedule, etc and that the administration has heard and taken in the parent feedback and questions. Brian promised to share a draft of the schedule, when it is ready, with PAC.

The meeting adjourned at 6:30pm.

 

###

López K-12 Padres / Guardianes Acta de la Reunión

23 de de febrero de, 2016, 5: 00-6: 30 pm

Ingrid Vliet, Trisha Arnott, Anne Burton, Jeanna Carter, Stephanie Froning, Ali Nicol, Abigail Prout, Karly Leyde, Sarah Rabel, Nikola Chopra, Kathy Booth, de Dave Sather, Brian Auckland, Richard Tetu, y John Helding se reunieron en la multi- salón de usos para discutir el programa de K-12.

Abigail Prout se abrió con las reglas básicas para la participación en el tema:

Nadie llega a estar mal
Busca primero entender
Use declaraciones respetuosas “I”
Nuestros trabajos son a escuchar ya hablar nuestras verdades
Posteriormente, el grupo compartió preguntas y reflexiones iniciales sobre el programa actual del K-12. Los comentarios incluyeron:

Los padres y los estudiantes deben ser capaces de planificar el futuro (con las trayectorias académicas / clases) y no solo año por año. Los padres necesitan saber qué dirección de su hijo (a) tiene que estar pasando por sus trayectorias académicas individuales.
¿Cómo puede el horario convertido en más que simplemente los huesos desnudos y únicos requisitos mínimos de graduación de reuniones?
El año pasado hubo una gran cantidad de cambios de última hora (en la programación) y fue muy frustrante.
Como un padre elemental, lo que es de aula para?
Como un padre primaria, es importante saber lo que se prepara para y saber lo que viene en secundaria. Las reuniones de clase con el consejero de la escuela sería de gran ayuda.
Los padres y los estudiantes necesitan saber cuáles son los requisitos de graduación y lo que se espera de los estudiantes de secundaria entrantes así de antemano.
Preocupado por la programación no cumplir con los requisitos de graduación y los intereses de los estudiantes dentro de ofertas de clases.
ofertas de clases se han reducido y los requisitos de graduación han aumentado en los últimos años. El calendario está en un mínimo y no hay lugar para la confección de las clases (si un estudiante no) o para tomar clases que faltan. La única opción dentro de la escuela para equilibrar esto es socio de Padres, y no todos los estudiantes les va bien con el aprendizaje en línea. ¿Cómo funciona la escuela de satisfacer las necesidades de los estudiantes dentro de la escuela? ¿Cómo podemos obtener una mayor flexibilidad en el horario?
El horario abastece a las clases básicas; esta negativa aplicaciones impactos universitarios.
Las clases en línea a través de socios de Padres son algo positivo para ayudar a los estudiantes se ramifican más allá de las ofertas de los horarios.
Socio padre que tiene una lista de espera es un problema.
¿Cómo podemos llegar a todas las necesidades de los niños se reunieron con el personal que la escuela tiene?
El administrador quiere tener cursos que son interesantes y que los estudiantes quieren tomar.
El horario es como el ajedrez multidimensional: se mueve una pieza y varios otros se vean afectados. Hay que tener una visión muy alto y mantenerse alejados de las agendas personales.
El administrador quiere satisfacer las necesidades de los estudiantes con el personal actual y para crear un entendimiento en torno a este conjunto.
David Sather luego compartió una presentación en PowerPoint sobre las complejidades y factores de horario K-12 de la Escuela López. El PowerPoint se adjunta.

Abigail continuación, facilitó un segundo intercambio de preguntas y preocupaciones, dado que el grupo tenía ahora una base compartida de los puntos explicados por Dave. Los siguientes comentarios surgieron:

¿Por qué nuestra escuela no ofrece la escuela de verano? Esto podría ayudar a equilibrar el horario restringido. (Brian Auckland y Dave Sather:. En parte debido a la exigencia altamente cualificado para los profesores, y en parte debido a la limitada de un Título de financiación)
Con todos los requisitos y limitaciones de todo el calendario, ¿qué influencia hacemos nosotros como padres / tutores tienen? (Brian Auckland: Eso es difícil de responder porque hay tantos requisitos Incluso Dave y yo sólo tengo una astilla de influencia en toda la imagen, en realidad sólo tenemos una pequeña pieza que podemos influir No hay un horario perfecto….)
sitio web OSPI es una fuente de información tal como, por requisitos de graduación. (Los padres señalar que OSPI es una página web confuso.)
La escuela opera bajo un horario K-12, pero lo que si pensamos que fuera de esa caja y considera horarios de primaria y secundaria como separadas para permitir una mayor flexibilidad? (Dave y Brian: Somos un sistema simbiótico Habría que dividir el personal, y eso es más caro con el gasto, habría menos opciones en vez de más…)
El año pasado, hubo una gran cantidad de aleatorización para cumplir con los requisitos de graduación. ¿Puede haber puntos de control a lo largo del camino para los estudiantes en forma de reuniones de persona a persona con Jeanna? Los padres y los estudiantes también necesitan reuniones de clase individuales (K-12) con Jeanna.
Nutrir al niño hace que nuestra escuela única. Como padre, me gustaría ayudar a la escuela a enriquecer este enfoque y construir comunidad. La recaudación de fondos es una manera como es el voluntariado y la conexión con el administrador. (PAC tiene un comité de voluntarios que está trabajando en el voluntariado.)
¿Por qué tenemos cinco enriquecimientos diferentes (en el nivel primario)? Qué pasaría si tuviéramos menos? (Richard Tetu: Me gustaría ver este idioma extranjero porque ya perdidos en la primaria, y que idioma extranjero impactos de pérdida en la escuela media y alta).
Tenemos opciones de todo el presupuesto y cuáles son las prioridades. Tenemos opciones y maneras de ser flexibles y creativos dentro de los requisitos.
los padres elementales gustaría reunirse con Jeanna considerar pistas académicas de los estudiantes.
El requisito de 150 horas de irse le da mucha más libertad para volver a un horario de 7 períodos. Con tal, pistas académicas de los estudiantes mejor se pueden realizar. Actualmente hay cada vez menos espacio para las pasiones de los estudiantes.
Adición de clases significa menos tiempo por clase y sin embargo los maestros tendría la misma cantidad de tiempo de preparación.
Hemos estado engañando durante años (con el calendario) y no pagamos los platos rotos. La escuela ha combinado las clases con el fin de no tener que contratar a más maestros. Estamos muy creativo, pero teníamos lujos en los últimos años que ya no tenemos.
Estudiante FTE fue abajo (la más alta de estudiantes FTE era 306 en el pasado), que también impacta en el presupuesto. Los padres pueden ayudar a crear una escuela que la gente quiere estar.
Es una lucha para mantener a los niños en las clases de grado 11/12 si ellos han estado tomando clases de secundaria en la escuela media.
Es un “Pollo contra el huevo”. La junta quiere mantener una escuela fuerte. Ciertos estudiantes necesitan ciertas situaciones académicas. Nos ven como una escuela extraordinaria en el mundo de la escuela pública.
El hecho de que los estudiantes puedan moverse (por delante en matemáticas, por ejemplo) lanza otra llave en la mezcla horario.
Abigail llegó a la conclusión, en interés de mantener la reunión para que no pasen los plazos. Expresó la esperanza compartida de que los padres se sienten más curiosidad acerca de cómo los mandatos y los detalles de los estudiantes de impacto, el calendario, etc., y que la administración ha escuchado y tenido en las votaciones de los padres y preguntas. Brian se comprometió a compartir un borrador de la agenda, cuando está listo, con el PAC.

Se suspende la reunión a las 6:30 pm.

 

Presentation to PAC on Schedule

First ever islands’ robotics tournament

Come cheer on 16 VEX robotics teams, grades 3-8, in the first ever Islands robotics tournament this Saturday in the multi-purpose room from 11:30-3:00. Teams from Lopez, Easton, and Seattle area will showcase their engineering and teamwork skills. Each team has designed and built a robot from the same basic materials. This year’s VEX IQ Challenge – Bank Shot – is played on a 4’x8’ rectangular field configured with 44 balls, a scoring zone, a goal, and a ramp. Two robots play in the Teamwork Challenge as an alliance in 60 second long teamwork matches, working collaboratively to score points. Teams also compete in two additional challenges; The Robot Skills Challenge where one robot takes the field to score as many points as possible under driver control; The Programming Skills Challenge where one robot scores as many points as possible autonomously, without any driver inputs.
The object of the game is to attain the highest score by emptying cutouts, scoring balls into the scoring zone and goals, and by parking robots on the ramp.
Each robot is a little different, each match pairs two different teams, allowing for different strategies to be used, and it is all a whole lot of fun to watch!
Volunteers are needed! 
1) 1 referee, 8th grader or higher, 10:30-3:00, receive free pizza lunch and training.
2) kids to reset balls on playing fields, 2 at any given time but this can be split up into shifts. Easy but focused job, recommended age is 3rd to 7th grade, resetting the field every few minutes after it has been scored. This job starts at 11:30.
Lunch break is 12:30-1:00.
Please contact Ingrid Vliet if interested in volunteering: ivliet@gmail.com
###

Ven a ver los equipos de robótica VEX, de los grados 3-8, en el primer torneo de robótica  en las Islas este sábado en el salón de usos múltiples de 11: 30-3: 00. Los equipos de López, Easton, y el área de Seattle mostrarán sus habilidades de ingeniería y trabajo en su equipo. Cada equipo ha diseñado y construido un robot a partir de los mismos materiales básicos. Bank Shot – – VEX IQ Challenge de este año se juega en un 4’x8 ‘campo rectangular configurado con 44 bolas, una zona de puntuación, una meta, y una rampa. Dos robots juegan en un desafío donde trabaja el equipo como una alianza  trabajando en colaboración para sumar puntos. Los equipos también compiten en dos desafíos adicionales; El Reto de Habilidades Robot, donde un robot toma el campo para anotar tantos puntos como sea posible bajo el control del conductor; El desafío de las habilidades de programación, donde un robot anota tantos puntos como sea posible de manera autónoma, sin ningún tipo de las acciones del conductor.

El objetivo del juego es alcanzar la puntuación más alta al vaciar los recortes, anotando bolas en la zona de puntuación y las metas, y por los robots de aparcamiento en la rampa.

Cada robot es un poco diferente, cada uno de los pares de los partidos dos equipos diferentes, teniendo en cuenta las diferentes estrategias a utilizar, y es todo un montón de diversión a mirar!

Se necesitan voluntarios!
1) 1 árbitro, estudiante de 8º grado o superior, 10: 30-3: 00, reciben almuerzo de pizza gratis.
2) niños para restablecer las bolas en los campos de juego, 2 en un momento dado, pero esto puede ser divididos en turnos. Fácil, pero, la edad recomendada es de 3 al 7 grado, restableciendo el campo cada pocos minutos después de que se haya marcado. Este trabajo se inicia a las 11:30.
Pausa para el almuerzo es de 12: 30-1: 00.

Por favor, póngase en contacto con Ingrid Vliet si está interesado en ser voluntario: ivliet@gmail.com

January School Board Meeting Notes

Attending school board meetings is an excellent way to find out what is being discussed and what is coming up at the school. These notes are lengthy, but please consider reading. The feedback from LEA (teachers’ union) is helpful for PAC to hear as well.

Lopez Island School Board Meeting Notes: UNOFFICIAL

January 27, 2016, regular session meeting

Board Appreciation

An array of gifts and expressions of gratitude from students, teachers, and classified staff were given to the board at the start of the meeting in appreciation.

Financial Update

Janette noted that the March audit is coming up and that she will be on-island at some point in March. She gave an overview of the finances in which she noted that enrollment is still over the projection. She highlighted that December ended with roughly $340K in the fund balance, which puts it at approximately 8%.

During the financial report, Richard Carter, LEA representative, sought clarity on why classroom budgets and professional development accounts do not always accurately reflect real-time numbers. Janette noted that she inputs these figures manually every few months. [Carol Steckler later referred back to this conversation, using it as an example of how the current financial system is not serving the teachers.]

Also during the financial report, a brief discussion regarding special ed students and needs arose. The school has hired additional staff for the Kindergarten class, given that several students have IEPs with special needs. Currently, the school is at 19% special needs students, while the state only funds at 12%. Carol noted that special ed should have a coalition of advocates to take funding concerns to the legislature.

Richard Tetu commented that in past years, when the budget was balancing as it is, the administration restored the cuts to classroom budgets. Brian Auckland noted that is something to consider in the future.

Administrative Reports

Richard Carter for LEA shared with the board, as LEA had with the administration earlier, an overview of the data resulting from a thorough, direct solicitation of comments/input from teachers. (The input was reviewed by the membership prior to sharing with admin.) While individual responses are confidential, the following categories emerged:

  • administrative structure. LEA reminded the board that Del Guenther had suggested to teachers a year ago that the board & LEA should revisit this topic after approx 1 year. Data collected from teachers showed concern for how many different “hats” the administrators wear and the impact that has on the admin, staff, and the school.
  • collaboration
  • There is a school board policy that governs curriculum. LEA reminded admin that the traditional rotation of funds distribution for curriculum has not been available to teachers for several years and that teachers specifically asked if the board was aware that teachers have had no funding for curriculum for several years.
  • schedule
  • What is the school’s vision?
  • working beyond contract & TRI hours.

Richard Tetu then shared with the board some of the financial frustrations that teachers are experiencing. He stated clearly that the school is encountering a system problem, not a problem arising from individuals. Specifics he noted included:

  • secondary teachers’ contract time increased 3.5 hours, whereas their prep time was reduced by that amount.
  • carry-overs (money in the budget that is not used in a given year and that some or all can carry over to the next year in a teacher’s account) have been asked for by teachers again and again and never received.
  • Richard T himself spent hours discovering an L&I error that Janette noted in her report (which will be corrected).
  • an ASB meeting occurred with a financial person from NCESD at a time when Richard T (the advisor) could not be present. He had requested several times that the meeting occur when he could attend.
  • the ordering of classroom supplies has become so cumbersome and ineffective that several teachers resort to purchasing supplies out of pocket/personal money. Specifically, the KCDA (supply company) website is essentially unusable for ordering, and the correct pricing & reimbursement are not properly shown in accounts.
  • insurance has increasingly been a frustration requiring several hours/days of staff’s personal time to attempt to solve.

Richard T concluded by reasserting that it is a systemic issue, stating that the support system no longer supports and that staff cannot be efficient if the system works against them.

The two administrators then responded.

Brian Auckland stated that they are finding themselves in the middle of this, and that they cannot figure out what part of the system is not working. They fix something and then they have to re-fix it. He noted that they are functioning in a system that is limping. He then spoke to the insurance frustrations specifically, in that he could relate. He also noted the strengths of the financial system, specifically that it is improving the budget and fund balance.

[There was more discussion of insurance, but I did not note the details.]

Dave Sather spoke to curriculum concerns, noting that many teachers develop and/or purchase their own. He noted the 1080 mandate (number of instructional hours) and its impact on the schedule. He emphasized that everyone is burnt and spending a lot of hours doing their jobs.

With regards to professional development, Richard C noted that staff always knew they had $500 for PD, but now without being reimbursed timely, they are hesitant to spend the money. Janette noted that she had just realized that staffs’ professional development updates had not been done and that she would attend to that in the coming weeks.

The board then responded, noting or asking the following:

  • there are problems within a larger accounting system
  • what is needed to make things work better? Carol specifically noted the importance of breaking the issues down and coming up with solutions in a collaborative approach.
  • administrators wear multiple hats. Could staff members take on some of the smaller jobs (for a stipend)?
  • classroom budgets are not simple and can no longer be tracked via paper receipts, but there is clearly a teacher supply PO issue.
  • this is a punch-list problem and a communications problem.
  • the financial system being used has solved the financial crisis and is working well in many respects, so it is frustrating to hear that it’s not serving the faculty.
  • What is the solution? (Richard C noted that manual updates need not take 2 months as it has been. Richard T noted that if Janette has to choose between serving an individual teacher or serving the board, she will choose the board. Richard C noted that paper POs and paper receipts for supplies is by far simpler and easier. Cindy Post offered the idea of an open PO.)
  • Carol suggested isolating one issue at a time, starting with classroom budgets & professional development, and bring everyone to the table who should work on this.
  • John directed Brian & Dave to come back at the next board meeting with a specific action plan for classroom budgets & PD.
  • John also asked about the process for addressing LEA’s other concerns. Brian noted that there is a process and that he & Dave will work on it as time allows.
  • John, Dave, & Brian requested the full LEA report.

Vinny Kramer for ASB reported:

  • the focus on school spirit continues with the sale of swag bags.
  • community service hours and involvement is another top focus for the ASB, and they have several initiatives that they are working on to serve the school and community.

Ann Marie Fischer for ALE shared updates on the Parent Partner (PP) Program and CVA. She spoke to the mission of developing independent learners through options, as well as of connecting families. She noted that students have different needs at different points in their lives and that PP supports that. She further explained that there has been fluidity between homeschooled students and the school.

She also noted the capacity of the PP, solely connected to her FTE in the position. First semester had 28-30 PP students with a waiting list; this semester has 25 students with a waiting list of 6 students. The students range from elementary all the way up to seniors needing graduation credits.

Brian commended Ann Marie for her work in PP and CVA, noting that she fosters the students and families involved.

[The meeting continued, but I left after 2 hours.]

Notes taken by Sarah Rabel for PAC.

###

Asistir a las reuniones del consejo escolar es una excelente manera de averiguar lo que se discute y lo que se acerca a la escuela. Estas notas son largas, pero por favor, consideren la lectura. La retroalimentación de LEA (sindicato de maestros) es útil para la PAC para escuchar también.

Island School López Notas Reunión de la Junta: NO OFICIAL

27 de enero 2016, reunión período ordinario de sesiones

Apreciación Junta

Un arsenal de regalos y expresiones de gratitud por parte de los estudiantes, maestros y personal clasificado se les dio a la junta en el inicio de la reunión en la apreciación.

Actualización Financiera

Janette señaló que la auditoría de marzo se acerca y que ella será en la isla en algún momento de marzo. Ella dio una visión general de las finanzas en la que se señaló que la inscripción es todavía más de la proyección. Destacó que diciembre terminó con cerca de $ 340K en el saldo de los fondos, lo que lo coloca en aproximadamente 8%.

Durante el informe financiero, Richard Carter, representante de la LEA, buscó claridad sobre por qué los presupuestos de aula y cuentas de desarrollo profesional no siempre reflejan con exactitud los números en tiempo real. Janette observó que ella introduce estas cifras manualmente cada pocos meses. [Carol Steckler refirió más adelante de nuevo a esta conversación, usándolo como un ejemplo de cómo el actual sistema financiero no está sirviendo a los maestros.]

Asimismo, durante el informe financiero, una breve discusión con respecto a los estudiantes y las necesidades de educación especial surgió. La escuela ha contratado personal adicional para la clase de jardín de infantes, ya que varios estudiantes tienen IEP con necesidades especiales. Actualmente, la escuela se encuentra en 19% de los estudiantes con necesidades especiales, mientras que el Estado sólo los fondos en un 12%. Carol señaló que la educación especial debe tener una coalición de defensores de tomar preocupaciones de financiación a la legislatura.

Richard Tetu comentó que en años anteriores, cuando el presupuesto se balanceaba como es, la administración restauró los recortes a los presupuestos de la clase. Brian Auckland señaló que es algo a considerar en el futuro.

Informes Administrativos

Richard Carter por LEA compartido con el tablero, como LEA tuvo con la administración anterior, una visión general de los datos resultantes de una profunda solicitud, directa de los comentarios / información de los maestros. (La entrada fue revisado por los miembros antes de compartir con administrador.) Si bien las respuestas individuales son confidenciales, las siguientes categorías surgieron:

estructura administrativa. LEA recordó a la Junta que Del Guenther había sugerido a los maestros de hace un año que la junta y LEA deben volver a este tema después de aproximadamente 1 año. Los datos recogidos de los profesores mostraron preocupación por el número de diferentes “sombreros” usan los administradores y el impacto que tiene en la administración, el personal, y la escuela.
colaboración
Hay una política de la junta escolar que gobierna currículo. LEA recordó administrador que la rotación tradicional de distribución de los fondos para los planes de estudio no ha estado a disposición de los profesores durante varios años y que los profesores preguntaron específicamente si la junta era consciente de que los profesores no han tenido la financiación de planes de estudio desde hace varios años.
programar
¿Cuál es la visión de la escuela?
trabajando más allá de los contratos y del TRI horas.
Richard Tetu luego compartió con la junta algunas de las frustraciones financieras que los maestros están experimentando. Dijo claramente que la escuela se encuentra con un problema del sistema, no es un problema que surge de los individuos. Específicos Señaló incluyen:

tiempo de contrato de los profesores de secundaria se incrementó de 3,5 horas, mientras que su tiempo de preparación se reduce en la misma cantidad.
prórrogas (dinero en el presupuesto que no se utiliza en un año determinado y que algunos o todos pueden llevar al siguiente año en la cuenta de un profesor) han sido solicitados por los profesores y otra vez y nunca recibieron.
El propio Richard T pasaba horas descubrir un error de L & I que Janette señaló en su informe (que será corregida).
una reunión ASB ocurrió con una persona financiera de NCESD en momentos en que Richard T (el consejero) no pudo estar presente. Él había pedido en varias ocasiones que la reunión se producen cuando pudo asistir.
el orden de los materiales de clase se ha vuelto tan complicado e ineficaz que varios profesores recurren a la compra de suministros de su bolsillo / dinero personal. En concreto, el sitio KCDA (empresa de suministro) es esencialmente inutilizable para el orden y la fijación de precios y reembolso correcto no se muestran correctamente en las cuentas.
seguro ha sido cada vez más una frustración que requiere varias horas / días de tiempo de personal de personal para tratar de resolver.
Richard T concluyó reafirmando que es un problema sistémico, que indica que ya no apoya el sistema de apoyo y que el personal no puede ser eficiente si el sistema funciona en contra de ellos.

Los dos administradores entonces respondieron.

Brian Auckland declaró que se están encontrando en el medio de esto, y que no pueden averiguar qué parte del sistema no está funcionando. Ellos arreglar algo y luego tienen que volver a arreglarlo. Señaló que están funcionando en un sistema que está cojeando. A continuación, se dirigió a las frustraciones de seguros específicamente, en que podía relacionarse. También señaló los puntos fuertes del sistema financiero, específicamente que está mejorando el equilibrio presupuestario y la recaudación.

[Hubo más discusión del seguro, pero yo no tenga en cuenta los detalles.]

David Sather habló a las preocupaciones del plan de estudios, y señaló que muchos maestros a desarrollar y / o compra de su propia cuenta. Señaló el 1080 el mandato (número de horas de instrucción) y su impacto en la programación. Hizo hincapié en que todo el mundo se quema y pasar un montón de horas haciendo su trabajo.

En cuanto a desarrollo profesional, Richard C señaló que el personal siempre sabían que tenían $ 500 para la EP, pero ahora sin ser reembolsado a tiempo, son reacios a gastar el dinero. Janette señaló que ella sólo se había dado cuenta de que las actualizaciones de desarrollo profesional staffs ‘no se habían hecho y que ella asistiría a que en las próximas semanas.

El consejo entonces respondió, señalando o pedir lo siguiente:

hay problemas dentro de un sistema de contabilidad más grande
lo que se necesita para que las cosas funcionen mejor? Carol señaló específicamente la importancia de romper las cuestiones abajo y encontrar soluciones en un enfoque de colaboración.
administradores usan varios sombreros. ¿Podrían los miembros del personal tomar en algunos de los trabajos más pequeños (para un estipendio)?
presupuestos aula no son simples y ya no pueden ser rastreados a través de recibos en papel, pero hay claramente un PO tema oferta de docentes.
este es un problema punch-lista y un problema de comunicación.
el sistema financiero que se utiliza ha resuelto la crisis financiera y está trabajando bien en muchos aspectos, por lo que es frustrante saber que no está al servicio de la facultad.
¿Cuál es la solución? (Richard C señaló que las actualizaciones manuales no tienen que tomar 2 meses como lo ha sido. Richard T señaló que si Janette tiene que elegir entre servir a un maestro individual o servir la junta, se elegirá la junta. Richard C señaló que las organizaciones de productores de papel y papel recibos de suministros es, con mucho, más simple y más fácil. Cindy Publicar ofreció la idea de un PO abierta.)
Carol sugirió el aislamiento de un tema a la vez, comenzando con los presupuestos de aula y el desarrollo profesional, y llevar a todos a la mesa que deben trabajar en esto.
John dirige Brian & Dave volver en la próxima reunión de la junta con un plan de acción específico para los presupuestos de aula y PD.
Juan también preguntó sobre el proceso para abordar otras preocupaciones de la LEA. Brian observó que no es un proceso y que él y Dave trabajará en él como el tiempo lo permite.
John, Dave, y Brian solicitaron el informe completo de la LEA.
Vinny Kramer para ASB informó:

el enfoque en la escuela spirit continúa con la venta de bolsas de botín.
horas de servicio comunitario y la participación es otro enfoque superior para el ASB, y tienen varias iniciativas que están trabajando para servir a la escuela y la comunidad.
Ann Marie Fischer para ALE compartió actualizaciones sobre el Programa de Socios de Padres (PP) y CVA. Ella habló con la misión de desarrollar aprendices independientes a través de las opciones, así como de las familias de conexión. Señaló que los estudiantes tienen diferentes necesidades en diferentes momentos de su vida y que el PP apoya eso. Explicó, además, que ha habido fluidez entre los estudiantes educados en el hogar y la escuela.

También señaló la capacidad del PP, el único conectado a la FTE en la posición. Primer semestre tuvo 28-30 estudiantes PP con una lista de espera; este semestre tiene 25 estudiantes con una lista de espera de 6 alumnos. Los estudiantes van desde primaria hasta el final hasta a las personas mayores que necesitan créditos de graduación.

Brian elogió Ann Marie por su trabajo en PP y CVA, señalando que ella fomenta los estudiantes y las familias involucradas.

[La reunión continuó, pero me fui después de 2 horas.]

Notas tomadas por Sarah Rabel para PAC.