ICE activities and support for our immigrant community

Here is some information on activities of ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) from Barbara Gurley of Lopez Island Family Resource Center, as well as ways we can be of support to the Hispanic/immigrant community as individuals.

ICE activity at the Anacortes Ferry

Customs and Border Patrol is the law enforcement agency that safeguards America’s borders and are part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). They monitor the ferry to Canada.  A border patrol agent was seen in the  Anacortes ferry terminal building a month ago.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) are also part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).  ICE officials identify, arrest, and remove aliens who present a danger to national security or are a risk to public safety, as well as those who enter the United States illegally.  3 ICE vehicles were seen at the Anacortes ferry lanes 2-3 weeks ago.  They were not seen speaking to anyone, but appeared to be observing and watching people.

 

Hearings and deportations

Barbara has talked with an immigration attorney — and he was reinforcing that the hearing process has changed.

Before if someone was detained by ICE, they had no criminal activity and were responsible individuals, then their cases were dismissed and they were released. Now all the cases are being heard with either a positive resolution or negative one/deportation. There are no longer dismissals.

ICE takes individuals that they detain to the Tacoma Northwest Detention Center (an ICE facility). The Tacoma Immigration Court which is located at the detention center falls under the jurisdiction of the Office of the Chief Immigration Judge, which is a component of the Executive Office for Immigration Review under the Department of Justice. This is the court where individuals cases are heard and a decision on deportation is made.
Recent changes with the immigration court include cases are no longer dismissed when detainees have been responsible and have no criminal history. Now all cases are heard (none are dismissed), and a decision is made with a positive resolution or a negative one with the individual being deported.

Positive resolution means no deportation — and some pathway to getting documented is obtained, but not sure what that is other than a green card. The attorney showed a map of different options for getting documentation and seems like there are many steps to getting a green card.

Supports for the Community

Barbara Gurley said people are very terrified even within this community. ICE could show up and round up people. There is fear of being reported by neighbors, someone in the community. LIFRC is currently connecting families with legal resources. A lot of efforts are being mobilized to provide support.

(An excellent essay on what it’s like to live in fear as a Mexican-American by a FH high-school student published in the SJ Journal: http://www.sanjuanjournal.com/opinion/until-you-question-why-guest-column/ )

Kim Pasciuto (LIFRC) said that as individuals, we can:
– Be informed on your rights and rights of immigrants. Print out info from ACLU (https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/what-do-if-youre-stopped-police-immigration-agents-or-fbi?redirect=files/kyr/kyr_english.pdf ) or from NW Immigrant Rights project (https://www.nwirp.org/resources/know-your-rights/ ) and carry the info with you in case it can be useful for you or anyone in the community you know.

– Be a witness. (Watch youtube videos on how to show up and be a witness)

– Be ready to accompany someone. Follow an ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) van.

– Relay info to relatives and friends of affected individuals. Relay info the county.

– Be friends, offer affection.

*Important to respect secrecy and keep confidentiality. *

Do not trigger animosity among those who may think differently as it could end up hurting those we want to protect.

San Juan County as a “Sanctuary”?

The SJC Council discussed this issue at their Jan 10, 2017 meeting. The discussion that happened during the meeting was summarized in this article in the Journal: http://www.sanjuanjournal.com/news/countys-top-officials-affirm-existing-local-policies-with-immigrants/

The existing policies based on the 2014 resolution are weak. So a new resolution with more teeth is in the process of being proposed and considered for adoption next week.

Gov Inslee last Thursday also issued an executive order that law enforcement officers in WA would not be enforcing immigration control. They also will not act on civil warrants – only judicial warrants will be acted on.

There is no need and no use to declare SJC a “sanctuary” because it has no legal imports. So no need to draw unnecessary attention if it offers no legal protection.

——————-En Espanol (Google Tranlate)——————————–

Aquí hay información sobre las actividades del ICE (Inmigración y Aduanas) de Barbara Gurley del Centro de Recursos Familiares de la Isla López, así como formas en que podemos apoyar a la comunidad hispana / inmigrante como individuos.

Actividad del ICE en el ferry de Anacortes

Aduanas y Patrulla Fronteriza es la agencia de aplicación de la ley que protege las fronteras de Estados Unidos y es parte del Departamento de Seguridad Nacional (DHS). Ellos monitorean el ferry a Canadá. Un agente de la patrulla fronteriza fue visto en la terminal de transbordadores de Anacortes hace un mes.
Inmigración y Aduanas (ICE) también forman parte del Departamento de Seguridad Nacional (DHS). Los funcionarios de ICE identifican, arrestan y expulsan a los extranjeros que representan un peligro para la seguridad nacional o son un riesgo para la seguridad pública, así como para aquellos que entran ilegalmente en los Estados Unidos. 3 Vehículos de ICE fueron vistos en los carriles de ferry de Anacortes hace 2-3 semanas. No se les veía hablando a nadie, pero parecía estar observando y observando a la gente.
Audiencias y deportaciones

Barbara ha hablado con un abogado de inmigración y reforzó que el proceso de audiencia ha cambiado.

Antes de que alguien fuera detenido por ICE, no tenían actividad criminal y eran individuos responsables, entonces sus casos fueron despedidos y fueron puestos en libertad. Ahora todos los casos se están escuchando con una resolución positiva o negativa / deportación. Ya no hay despidos.

ICE toma a las personas que detienen al Centro de Detención de Tacoma Northwest (una instalación de ICE). El Tribunal de Inmigración de Tacoma, que se encuentra en el centro de detención, está bajo la jurisdicción de la Oficina del Juez Jefe de Inmigración, que es un componente de la Oficina Ejecutiva de Revisión de Inmigración del Departamento de Justicia. Este es el tribunal donde se oyen casos individuales y se toma una decisión sobre la deportación.

Los cambios recientes con la corte de inmigración incluyen casos que ya no se descartan cuando los detenidos han sido responsables y no tienen antecedentes penales. Ahora todos los casos son escuchados (ninguno es despedido), y una decisión se toma con una resolución positiva o negativa con el individuo deportado.

La resolución positiva significa que no hay deportación – y se obtiene alguna vía para obtener documentación, pero no está seguro de qué es otra que una tarjeta verde. El abogado mostró un mapa de diferentes opciones para obtener documentación y parece que hay muchos pasos para obtener una tarjeta verde.

Apoyos para la Comunidad

Barbara Gurley dijo que la gente está muy aterrorizada incluso dentro de esta comunidad. ICE podría aparecer y reunir a la gente. Hay miedo de ser reportado por vecinos, alguien en la comunidad. LIFRC actualmente está conectando a las familias con recursos legales. Se está movilizando una gran cantidad de esfuerzos para brindar apoyo.

(Un excelente ensayo sobre lo que es vivir en el miedo como un mexicano-americano por un estudiante de secundaria de FH publicado en el diario SJ: http://www.sanjuanjournal.com/opinion/until-you-question-why-guest-column/ )

Kim Pasciuto (LIFRC) dijo que como individuos, podemos:
– Estar informado sobre sus derechos y derechos de los inmigrantes. Imprima información de ACLU (https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/what-do-if-youre-stopped-police-immigration-agents-or-fbi?redirect=files/kyr/kyr_english.pdf ) o del proyecto NW Immigrant Rights (https://www.nwirp.org/resources/know-your-rights/ )  y llevar la información con usted en caso de que pueda ser útil para usted o cualquier persona en la comunidad que usted conoce.

– Ser un testigo. (Ver videos de youtube sobre cómo aparecer y ser testigo)

– Esté listo para acompañar a alguien. Siga una furgoneta de ICE (Inmigración y Aduanas).

– Relación de información a los familiares y amigos de las personas afectadas. Relay información del condado.

– Ser amigos, ofrecer afecto.

* Importante respetar el secreto y mantener la confidencialidad. *

No provocar animosidad entre los que pueden pensar de manera diferente, ya que podría acabar perjudicando a aquellos que queremos proteger.

San Juan como un “Santuario”?

El Consejo del SJC discutió este tema en su reunión del 10 de enero de 2017. La discusión que sucedió durante la reunión fue resumida en este artículo en la revista: http://www.sanjuanjournal.com/news/countys-top-officials-affirm-existing-local-policies-with-immigrants/

Las políticas existentes basadas en la resolución de 2014 son débiles. Así que una nueva resolución con más dientes está en proceso de ser propuesta y considerada para su adopción la próxima semana.

Gov Inslee el pasado jueves también emitió una orden ejecutiva de que los agentes del orden en WA no estarían imponiendo el control de inmigración. Tampoco actuarán con órdenes de guerra civiles – sólo se darán órdenes judiciales.

No hay necesidad ni utilidad para declarar a SJC un “santuario” porque no tiene importaciones legales. Así que no hay necesidad de llamar la atención innecesaria si no ofrece ninguna protección legal.
también

Digital Safety for Families & Students

Here are several links to digital safety tips that Jeanna Carter, School Counselor, shared from SafeSmartSocial.com as they might be of interest:

7 Ways Parents Can Teach Teens to Have Productive Screen Time
We reached out to 7 digital-safety experts and parents to get their best advice for teaching students how to be productive during screen time. Learn how to set screen time limits, where to allow devices, how to lead by example and how to teach students time management.

Become a Social Media Safety Expert:
Get a Virtual Replay Ticket to our Digital Citizenship Conference
  ($98 savings)

Save $98 on a Virtual Replay Ticket to our Digital Citizenship Conference when you use coupon code “HalfOff” by this Friday. Learn more here.

3 Things Parents Should Know When Contacting The Police About Social Media Crimes
Officer Mike Bires shares his top 3 things parents should know when dealing with the police and potentially criminal acts occurring online. His advice includes how to handle the social media account in question, the best way to work with law enforcement throughout the investigation and more.

5 Tips to Protect Your Family’s Online Privacy & Security
Although living in the Age of Information is wonderful, parents must focus on protecting their family’s security and privacy. Here are 5 tips to keep your family safe in the digital world including–how to start a dialog with your teens, how to secure your WI-FI network and more.

How to Improve Your Digital Footprint for College
We reached out to 5 college admissions and online reputation experts and asked them how college-bound teens can be proactive with their online presence. Learn how to take initiative with your digital footprint, how to highlight your goals on social and when to refrain from posting.

7 Ways Parents Can Teach Teens to Have Productive Screen Time
We reached out to 7 digital-safety experts and parents to get their best advice for teaching students how to be productive during screen time. Learn how to set screen time limits, where to allow devices, how to lead by example and how to teach students time management.

Become a Social Media Safety Expert:
Get a Virtual Replay Ticket to our Digital Citizenship Conference
  ($98 savings)

Save $98 on a Virtual Replay Ticket to our Digital Citizenship Conference when you use coupon code “HalfOff” by this Friday. Learn more here.

3 Things Parents Should Know When Contacting The Police About Social Media Crimes
Officer Mike Bires shares his top 3 things parents should know when dealing with the police and potentially criminal acts occurring online. His advice includes how to handle the social media account in question, the best way to work with law enforcement throughout the investigation and more.

Come to Los Angeles and attend the Digital Citizenship Conference on Oct 14th ($60 savings ends Friday)
Join 100+ parents and educators to learn digital citizenship safety trends & tactics in Los Angeles. 16 topics (8 panel discussions & 8 breakout sessions) that help parents and educators encourage students to build a positive online presence. Learn from our expert panels and deep dive sessions.

3 Digital Student Resume Tips to Get an Interview
These days a student’s social media presence – and the activities that they partake in online – can play a major part in their career. We reached out to experts to asked them for their best advice on building a student resume and online activities that can help students get an interview.

The 17 Apps Your Student Should Never Use 
Are you a parent who understands the negative effect social media apps can have on your child’s future? Learn what popular apps might be a terrible choice for your students and how to talk with your kids to start a healthy dialog.

Help the School Garden Farmers

Suzanne and Valerie can use some help processing the School Garden bounty!  Here are the details:
  • Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week (29, 30 & 31) from 10 am to 4 pm in the school kitchen.
  • Tuesday, Wed and Thursday of the first full week of September, 10 am to 4 pm in the school kitchen.
  • Starting September 12, we would love to have volunteers in the morning, 9 am to noon to help wash and prep veggies.
Please send this to others who may be interested in helping!  Come for any of that time.  Awesome to RSVP to Suzanne so they can plan. sbpp@rockisland.com
Thanks for helping our kids get healthy food!

School Renovation Project “Meet the Contractor” Meeting Notes

Lopez Island School Renovation Update Meeting

July 14, 2016

(No minutes were taken at this meeting; these notes are to give a snapshot of the information shared. For ongoing updates, please go to: http://www.lopezislandschool.org/renovation)

Financial Overview

Brian Auckland explained that the school has and continues to seek additional financial support from the State and the legislature on top of the voter-approved $9.6 million bond. $1.2 million in matching funds has been awarded by the State. The school submitted an “ask” to the legislature this past school year that was denied, but they will submit a second “ask” for at least $1.4 million and are hopeful for a positive response.

Construction Phases

Rick of Faber Construction gave an overview of the four phases of the project.

  • Phase 1 is on schedule and includes replacing the septic tanks, replacing sidewalks, remodeling the locker rooms and nearby hallway, & remodeling 4 MS/HS classrooms.
  • Phase 2 is the largest phase, but they have a head start on it. This phase encompasses more MS/HS classrooms as well as focuses on the elementary side, including the kitchen.
  • Phase 3 encompasses the gym and any remaining classrooms.
  • Phase 4 (next summer) will focus on the corridors.

Communication

Auckland shared that there will be a community open house prior to the start of school.

He noted that with the project moving so quickly, it is challenging to keep up with communication.

Giving, as he said, “just one of thousands of examples” of the pieces to the project, he explained that the fire alarm system is not synced throughout the school. This project will remedy this, as it will with other systems (e.g., the PA system).

Q&A

Auckland and Rick took questions from those in attendance. Questions and answers included:

  • Where will the students eat during the kitchen remodel? This will occur after spring break, and during this time, all students (K-12) will eat lunch in the MS Commons.
  • What is the environmental safety plan for students during the school year? Sections under construction will be blocked off with plastic barriers, and there will be fans blowing to the outside. Classrooms in use will be away from the construction and ideally there will be exterior access doors to those classrooms.
  • Is there a plan for if asbestos is discovered? Yes, they will follow the abatement plan, which is upheld by legal codes and specifies how to contain and dispose of asbestos.
  • During the elementary classroom remodeling, where will those students meet? There are currently 4 classrooms on the secondary side available, including the HUB and culinary (if culinary class moves to during the enrichment time slot).
  • Is the HVAC system school-wide? How is that being handled considering air-borne particles? The elementary HVACs are individual (not school-wide). On the secondary side, the system is school-wide. Follow-up question: So then, will that system be shut off? Answer from the audience: It absolutely will be.
  • Was there testing done for asbestos? During the last renovation, there was some asbestos found, and we anticipate finding a small amount in this renovation. We do not know precisely where it is, but there is the abatement plan.
  • What plan is in effect and what is the oversight for such a plan regarding environmental safety and things that might fall through the cracks? (e.g., what if students are walking by and/or playing near ventilated air coming outside from construction?) Auckland noted that the questions around environmental safety are specific questions that he does not yet know the specific answers to given how many pages the construction document/plan is. Rick seconded this, explaining that they are not to this part in the construction plan. Auckland offered that he is the oversight person. There was concern expressed as to how busy Auckland already is. Auckland noted that the construction company has worked in schools before and thus has substantial experience.
  • Doug Poole (in the audience) noted that there is a set of standards for post-production air quality and asked if there is a plan for that. Auckland and Rick stated that they are not that far into the project yet to answer this but they are sure there is such a plan.
  • Will the ceiling tiles, which have highly inadequate insulation, be reinsulated during this project? This is under an alternate bid, and so this will depend on cost. However, the new roof section will be sealed with new insulation.

 Further Details

Auckland shared that by the end of the project there will be an inner walkway from the playground all the way to Richard Carter’s classroom.

He also noted that there is still the hope of securing a grant for replacing playground equipment. Dave Sather is applying for a second grant on this.

Tina Katzenberger, from the PDAT committee, expressed great appreciation for the contractors, the work being done, and the process around the project.

Notes taken by Sarah Rabel for PAC.

###

Renovación López Island School Reunión de actualización

14 de de julio de, el año 2016

(No hay minutos fueron tomadas en esta reunión; estas notas son para dar una instantánea de la información compartida para las actualizaciones en curso, por favor vaya a: http://www.lopezislandschool.org/renovation.)

Resumen financiero

Brian Auckland explicó que la escuela tiene y sigue buscando apoyo financiero adicional del Estado y del poder legislativo en la parte superior de la aprobada por los votantes $ 9.6 millones de fianza. $ 1.2 millones en fondos de contrapartida ha sido otorgado por el Estado. La escuela presentó un “preguntar” a la legislatura el pasado año escolar que fue denegada, pero van a presentar una segunda “preguntar” por lo menos $ 1.4 millones y tienen la esperanza de una respuesta positiva.

Fases de construcción

Rick de Faber construcción dio una visión general de las cuatro fases del proyecto.

Fase 1 se ajusta al calendario e incluye la sustitución de los tanques sépticos, en sustitución de aceras, la remodelación de los vestuarios y cerca del pasillo, y la remodelación de 4 MS / HS aulas.
La fase 2 es la fase más grande, pero tienen una ventaja sobre él. Esta fase abarca más de MS / HS aulas, así como se centra en la parte primaria, incluyendo la cocina.
Fase 3 abarca el gimnasio y las aulas restantes.
Fase 4 (el próximo verano) se centrará en los pasillos.
Comunicación

Auckland compartió que habrá una casa de la comunidad abierta antes del inicio de clases.

Indicó que con el proyecto se mueve tan rápidamente, es difícil mantenerse al día con la comunicación.

Dar, como dijo, “sólo uno de los miles de ejemplos” de las piezas para el proyecto, explicó que el sistema de alarma contra incendios no se sincroniza en toda la escuela. Este proyecto va a remediar esto, como lo hará con otros sistemas (por ejemplo, el sistema de megafonía).

Q & A

Auckland y Rick a las preguntas de los asistentes. Preguntas y respuestas incluyen:

Donde van a comer los estudiantes durante la remodelación de la cocina? Esto ocurrirá después de las vacaciones de primavera, y durante este tiempo, todos los estudiantes (K-12) va a comer el almuerzo en el MS Comunes.
¿Cuál es el plan de seguridad ambiental para los estudiantes durante el año escolar? Las secciones en construcción serán bloqueadas con barreras de plástico, y habrá ventiladores que soplan hacia el exterior. Aulas para su utilización sea lejos de la construcción e idealmente no habrá puertas de acceso exterior a esas clases.
¿Existe un plan de asbesto si se descubre? Sí, van a seguir el plan de disminución, que se confirmó por los códigos legales y especifica cómo contener y eliminar el amianto.
Durante la remodelación aula de primaria, donde se reunirán los estudiantes? En este momento hay 4 aulas en el lado secundario disponibles, incluyendo el HUB y culinaria (si la clase se mueve a culinarias durante el intervalo de tiempo de enriquecimiento).
Es la escuela de todo el sistema de climatización? ¿Cómo es que ser manejado teniendo en cuenta las partículas transportadas por el aire? Los HVACs elementales son individuales (no de toda la escuela). En el lado secundario, el sistema es para toda la escuela. Seguimiento pregunta: ¿Así pues, será que el sistema se apaga? Respuesta de la audiencia: Es absolutamente lo será.
¿Había pruebas realizadas para el amianto? Durante la última renovación, había un poco de asbesto que se encuentra, y anticipamos la búsqueda de una pequeña cantidad de esta actualización. No sabemos exactamente dónde está, pero no es el plan de disminución.
¿Qué plan está en vigor y lo que es la supervisión de un plan de este tipo en relación con la seguridad ambiental y cosas que podrían caer a través de las grietas? (Por ejemplo, ¿qué pasaría si los estudiantes están caminando por y / o jugar al aire cerca ventilada viene fuera de la construcción?) Auckland señalar que las preguntas en torno a la seguridad del medio ambiente son cuestiones específicas que aún no conoce las respuestas específicas a los dados el número de páginas del documento de construcción / plan. Rick secundada esto, explicando que no son de esta parte en el plan de construcción. Auckland ofreció que él es la persona de supervisión. Se notó la preocupación expresada en cuanto a cómo ocupado Auckland ya es. Auckland señaló que la empresa constructora ha trabajado en las escuelas antes y por lo tanto tiene una experiencia considerable.
Doug Poole (en la audiencia) señaló que existe un conjunto de normas para la calidad del aire de post-producción y preguntó si hay un plan para eso. Auckland y Rick declararon que no están tan lejos en el proyecto aún para responder a esto, pero está seguro de que hay un plan de este tipo.
¿Los azulejos del techo, que tienen aislamiento altamente inadecuada, pueden reinsulated durante este proyecto? Esto es en virtud de una oferta alternativa, por lo que este dependerá del costo. Sin embargo, la nueva sección del techo se sella con nuevo aislamiento.
Más detalles

Auckland compartió que para el final del proyecto habrá una pasarela interior del patio de recreo de todo el camino a la clase de Richard Carter.

También señaló que todavía existe la esperanza de obtener una subvención para la sustitución de equipo de juego. Sather de Dave está solicitando una segunda subvención de esta.

Tina Katzenberger, desde el comité de PDAT, expresó su gran aprecio por los contratistas, el trabajo que se realiza, y el proceso en torno al proyecto.

Las notas tomadas por Sarah Rabel para la PAC.

June School Board Meeting Notes

Below are notes from the June 29th board meeting. There was also a special board meeting on July 1st that notes are not available for, however it was a very short meeting with the sole agenda item of approving Brian Auckland’s contract. A 3-year contract for Auckland with the state raise was unanimously approved.

Lopez Island School Board Meeting Notes: UNOFFICIAL

June 29, 2016, regular session meeting

Awards/Recognitions

Dawson Hall was awarded his diploma and congratulated by all in attendance.

Nathan Zapalac was awarded (though was not present) the Hope Scholarship of roughly $300.

Financial Update

End of May enrollment had not changed much from April.

There is a state report requirement due within a month.

At 75% through the school year, revenues received are at 74% and expenditures are at 69%.

The fund balance is at roughly $582,000 (due in part to tax revenues recently received).

The first invoice from the contractor will arrive in July and be due in August.

The PROJECTED fund balance is at 9%. Clive Prout expressed concern that by tightly budgeting and noting that the projection continues to increase rather than be a steady line, the school is not spending on great things that would be positives for the students. John Helding noted that it is important to have a projection that is better than expected and to budget conservatively this year because of where we started.

Administrative Reports

Richard Carter for LEA shared an update from last month’s LEA report:

  • Teacher contracts were issued on June 1st with thanks to Stephanie Fowler. Supplemental contracts, however, have not yet been issued.
  • In response to a question about teacher moving budget, Brian Auckland noted that it was shared with staff via “60 seconds” that each teacher would receive 4 hours moving time at a per diem rate. Auckland further noted that due to a loss of grants that impacted the general budget, there is not a line item in the budget to support teacher moving. It was further clarified that there will be additional paid time for teachers to move back in, though specifics are not known at this time.
  • Professional Development and classroom budgets are still a source of frustration for teachers since income (from grants) and expenses are not both reflected.
    • Stephanie Fowler noted that teachers cannot see their funds as one account with withdrawals and deposits.
    • Auckland expressed that he and Janette are working on a solution.
    • Helding asked if a work-around will be ready by the start of school.
    • Fowler offered the ideas that either Janette could give teachers access to the information or Fowler could run a report once/month for teachers.
    • Helding stated that this keeps coming up and there needs to be a process in place by the start of September.
    • Carter noted that Janette is responsive and that Stephanie is always there to go to. He also noted that quite a bit of teacher time is spent learning the system.
    • Helding again stated that there needs to be a date by which this will be sorted out.
    • Carol Steckler suggested using a system in which Stephanie or Eleanor run the report.
  • LEA asked for clarification regarding the source of funding for Professional Development. It is currently funded by a REAP grant, which traditionally was used for summer funds. Using the grant for PD has resulted in a reduction in summer PD allocations. How long has PD been funded by this grant, and how will PD be funded for the 2016-17 school year?
  • Regarding curriculum budget, Janette provided the information that there was $10,000 in the curriculum budget. Of this, elementary spent most of their third whereas MS & HS did not spend their portions.
  • LEA reported resolving one teacher contract issue, and the other contract issue was referred to WEA. Del Guenther asked for specifics on the issue refereed to WEA. Carter deferred the question to Auckland, and Auckland noted that it is not public yet and will be discussed in executive session.
  • The flowchart that LEA (and PAC and the Board) requested is still a point of question. Auckland and Dave Sather noted that it had been shared in Cabinet on May 18th; Carter did not recall seeing a version of the chart as it had been described at the May 25 board meeting. Auckland will send to all involved.

Prout then expressed a desire for clarity in understanding how the LEA reports appear to reflect on the relationship between the administration and the teachers.

  • Prout stated a lack of clarity as to why the board is hearing the level of detail in the LEA reports, and noted that it feels like the board is being used as a vehicle to communicate between LEA and the administration.
  • Steckler noted that the board is hearing consistent problems and concerns. She further noted that this is the second or third meeting that the same issue has been raised.
  • Prout stated that the relationship between LEA and the administration is fundamental and that if it is not working well, that is a cause for concern to the board.
  • Carter noted that communication is one issue and gave the flowchart as an example (that Auckland says he provided it in Cabinet, but Carter did not recognize what Auckland sent as being a flowchart/reflecting what was asked for by LEA).
  • Auckland noted that “in former lives,” he is used to more collaboration with teacher unions prior to board meetings. He then offered a positive example of LEA and admin working together by stating that the accounting piece is being addressed.
  • Helding then asked both Auckland and Carter if they feel the relationship between LEA and admin is collaborative or more transactional.
    • Auckland replied that it feels more transactional and that what is coming from LEA feels like “gotcha communication,” but he noted that he does not feel that is LEA’s intent.
    • Carter expressed that he cannot speak for membership and so does not know how to respond. But he did note that in terms of collaboration, LEA initiated monthly meetings with admin in early 2015 as well as sending the superintendent a draft of the LEA report each month prior to the board meetings.
  • Carter noted confusion as to why the level of detail is a concern for the board.
  • Steckler stated that if the board heard more of the process (e.g., we’ve met and here was the plan agreed upon), it would help.
  • Helding noted that there is a level of detail and a concern about a lack of resolution.
  • Prout stated that he is struggling to understand the subtext of what LEA is saying in its reports.
  • Helding concluded by stating that board members want a constructive working relationship between LEA and the administration and want to continue to receive detailed reports from LEA.

Sather shared his Principal Report.

  • He recognized Lorri and Kwiaht for the science program.
  • He also shared that Mike Hanby will be the new Athletic Director, coming from Puyallup/Tacoma and well-qualified.
  • The lack of senior pranks this year was recognized, and the board expressed gratitude and appreciation to the senior class.
  • Ashi Bartolucci was awarded “Girls on Ice” for scientific research and will be presenting her experience to the community.
  • Sather bid a fond farewell to Jen Romo and Diane Mayer, as they each have found work at other districts. Romo will be teaching in a STEM program in Spokane, and Mayer will be teaching in Oak Harbor.
  • Sather recognized Jaimie Terada for her AP training for the upcoming AP art class she will teach.
  • Sather noted that he is applying for an AP computer grant.

Auckland shared his Principal and Superintendent Reports.

  • He recognized Lisa Geddes for her ELL training.
  • Auckland shared that Becca Hamilton approached him regarding interest in the 3rd-5th grade math position and was unanimously selected to fill that position. The Kindergarten position is now posted.
    • Sarah Rabel asked for clarity on the hiring process, and Auckland shared that after the first round of interviews and the person selected turning the job down, the job was then reposted and any candidates who previously applied would then need to apply again to be considered. Becca, however, did not have to go through the interview process as she was reassigned given that she already works for the district.
  • Inez Black is hiring students for yard work, paying them an hourly rate, and then donating the same hourly rate to the garden program at the school.
  • Auckland was offered the opportunity to have the school take over the Lions Club’s 4th of July lunch. Auckland and Shannon along with the rest of the kitchen and garden staff will do a small gyro luncheon on the 4th to benefit the garden program.

The school renovation project is underway. Ground was broken last week. Vinny Kramer, Rande Gruenwald, and Mike Hobi have been hired to work with the crew. There have been some major bumps (water & electrical/internet), but the crew has handled things efficiently and effectively. Things are ahead of schedule in that most secondary rooms are set for demo and remodeling to be completed by the start of school.

The remainder of the meeting was dedicated to approving Policy 1610 (conflict of interest policy), accepting (with regrets and great appreciation for their gifts to our school and community) the resignation letters from Romo and Mayer, and approving contracts.

Notes taken by Sarah Rabel for PAC.

###

A continuación se presentan las notas de la reunión 29 de placa de junio. También hubo una reunión especial bordo el 1 de julio que las notas no están disponibles para, sin embargo, fue una muy breve reunión con el tema del programa exclusivo de aprobar el contrato de Brian Auckland. Un contrato de 3 años de Auckland, con el aumento del estado fue aprobada por unanimidad.

López Island School Board Meeting Notas: NO OFICIAL

29 de de junio de, 2016, reunión período ordinario de sesiones

Premios / Reconocimientos

Dawson Hall fue galardonado con el diploma y la felicitación de todos los asistentes.

Nathan Zapalac fue galardonado (aunque no estaba presente) la Beca Esperanza de alrededor de $ 300.

actualización financiera

Fin de la inscripción de mayo no había cambiado mucho desde abril.

Hay un informe requisito del estado debido en el plazo de un mes.

En el 75% hasta el año escolar, los ingresos recibidos se encuentran en el 74% y los gastos son en un 69%.

El saldo del fondo es aproximadamente a $ 582.000 (debido en parte a los ingresos fiscales ha recibido recientemente).

La primera factura del contratista llegará en julio y en agosto se deba.

El saldo de los fondos proyectado es del 9%. Clive Prout expresó su preocupación por que la fuerza de presupuestos y observando que la proyección continúa aumentando en lugar de ser una línea constante, la escuela no es el gasto en grandes cosas que serían positivos para los estudiantes. John Helding señaló que es importante contar con una proyección que es mejor de lo esperado y con el presupuesto de forma conservadora este año debido al punto de partida.

Los informes administrativos

Richard Carter por LEA compartió una actualización del informe de la LEA del mes pasado:

contratos de los maestros fueron emitidos el 1 de junio con gracias a Stephanie Fowler. contratos suplementarios, sin embargo, aún no han sido emitidos.
En respuesta a una pregunta sobre el maestro de presupuesto en movimiento, Brian Auckland constar que no se comparte con el personal a través de “60 segundos” que cada maestro recibiría 4 horas de tiempo se mueve a una tarifa diaria. Auckland señaló además que debido a una pérdida de las subvenciones que impactaron en el presupuesto general, no hay una partida en el presupuesto para apoyar en movimiento maestro. También se aclaró que no habrá pago de tiempo adicional para que los maestros se mueven de nuevo, aunque la directiva no se conocen en este momento.
Los presupuestos de desarrollo y del aula profesionales siguen siendo una fuente de frustración para los maestros ya que los ingresos (de donaciones) y los gastos no son ambos reflejados.
Stephanie Fowler señaló que los maestros no pueden ver a sus fondos de una cuenta con retiros y depósitos.
Auckland expresó que él y Janette están trabajando en una solución.
Helding preguntó si un trabajo en torno estará listo para el inicio de clases.
Fowler ofreció las ideas que ya sea Janette podría dar a los maestros acceso a la información o Fowler podría ejecutar un informe una vez / mes para los profesores.
Helding indicó que esto se mantiene por delante y no tiene que ser un proceso en el lugar por el inicio de septiembre.
Carter señaló que Janette es sensible y que Stephanie siempre está ahí para ir a. También señaló que un poco de tiempo maestro está dedicado al aprendizaje del sistema.
Helding declaró una vez más que es necesario que haya una fecha en la que este se resolverá.
Carol Steckler sugirió el uso de un sistema en el que Stephanie o Eleanor ejecutar el informe.
LEA solicita una aclaración con respecto a la fuente de financiación para el desarrollo profesional. En la actualidad está financiado por una subvención REAP, que tradicionalmente se ha utilizado para los fondos de verano. El uso de la subvención para PD se ha traducido en una reducción en la asignación de PD de verano. ¿Cuánto tiempo ha sido financiado por la EP esta subvención, y cómo va a ser financiado PD para el año escolar 2016-17?
En cuanto a presupuesto de plan de estudios, Janette proporcionó la información que había $ 10.000 en el presupuesto de plan de estudios. De esta cantidad, primaria pasó la mayor parte de su tercer mientras que MS & SA no pasan sus porciones.
LEA informó resolver un problema contrato maestro y el otro tema contrato se refiere a la AEM. Del Guenther preguntó para obtener información específica sobre el tema arbitrado a la AEM. Carter aplazó la cuestión de Auckland, Auckland y señaló que aún no es pública y será discutido en una sesión ejecutiva.
El diagrama de flujo que LEA (y el PAC y la Junta) solicitaron sigue siendo un punto de interrogación. Auckland y Dave Sather señaló que había sido compartida en el Consejo de Ministros el 18 de mayo; Carter no recuerda haber visto una versión de la tabla, ya que había sido descrita en la reunión de la junta 25 de mayo. Auckland enviará a todos los involucrados.
Prout a continuación, expresó su deseo de claridad en la comprensión de cómo los informes LEA parecen reflexionar sobre la relación entre la administración y los maestros.

Prout indicó una falta de claridad en cuanto a la razón por la junta está oyendo el nivel de detalle en los informes de la LEA, y señaló que se siente como si la tarjeta está siendo utilizada como un vehículo para la comunicación entre la administración y la LEA.
Steckler tomó nota de que la junta está oyendo problemas y preocupaciones constantes. Señaló, además, que esta es la segunda o tercera reunión que la misma cuestión se ha planteado.
Prout declaró que la relación entre el distrito y la administración es fundamental y que, si no está funcionando bien, que es un motivo de preocupación para la junta.
Carter señaló que la comunicación es una cuestión y dio el diagrama de flujo como un ejemplo (que Auckland dice que siempre que en el gabinete, pero Carter no reconoció lo Auckland envió como un diagrama de flujo / reflejando lo que fue solicitada por LEA).
Auckland señaló que “en vidas anteriores”, que se utiliza para una mayor colaboración con los sindicatos de maestros anteriores a las reuniones del consejo. Luego ofreció un ejemplo positivo de LEA y admin trabajando juntos al afirmar que la pieza de contabilidad se está abordando.
Helding continuación, solicitó a ambas Auckland y Carter si sienten que la relación entre la LEA y de administración es de colaboración o más transaccional.
Auckland respondió que se siente más transaccional y que lo que viene de la LEA se siente como “comunicación Gotcha”, pero señaló que él no se siente que es la intención de la LEA.
Carter expresó que él no puede hablar en nombre de miembro y así no sabe cómo responder. Pero sí, tenga en cuenta que, en términos de colaboración, LEA inició reuniones mensuales con admin en principios de 2015, así como el envío de un proyecto de superintendente de la LEA informe cada mes antes de las reuniones de la junta.
Carter señaló confusión en cuanto a por qué el nivel de detalle es una preocupación para la junta.
Steckler dijo que si la junta escuchó más del proceso (por ejemplo, nos hemos conocido y aquí fue el plan acordado), sería de ayuda.
Helding señalar que hay un nivel de detalle y una preocupación acerca de la falta de resolución.
Prout indicó que él está luchando para entender el trasfondo de lo que está diciendo LEA en sus informes.
Helding concluyó afirmando que los miembros de la junta quieren una relación de trabajo constructiva entre la LEA y la administración y quieren seguir recibiendo informes detallados de la LEA.
Sather compartió su Informe Principal.

Reconoció Lorri y Kwiaht para el programa de la ciencia.
También compartió que Mike Hanby será el nuevo Director de Deportes, procedente de Puyallup / Tacoma y bien calificado.
La falta de bromas altos este año fue reconocido, y la junta expresó su agradecimiento y reconocimiento a la clase mayor.
Ashi Bartolucci fue galardonado con “Girls on Ice” para la investigación científica y presentará su experiencia para la comunidad.
Sather una calurosa despedida a Jen Romo y Diane Mayer, ya que cada uno han encontrado trabajo en otros distritos. Romo estará enseñando en un programa STEM en Spokane, y Mayer estará enseñando en Oak Harbor.
Sather reconocido Jaimie Terada para su formación AP para la próxima clase de arte AP que enseñará.
Sather observó que él está solicitando una subvención equipo AP.
Auckland compartió su principal, e informa Superintendente.

Reconoció Lisa Geddes para su formación ELL.
Auckland compartió que Becca Hamilton se acercó a él en relación con el interés en la posición 3 al 5 grado de matemáticas y fue seleccionado por unanimidad para ocupar esa posición. La posición Kinder ahora se publica.
Sarah Rabel pidió claridad sobre el proceso de contratación, y Auckland compartió que después de la primera ronda de entrevistas y la persona seleccionada girando el trabajo hacia abajo, después se volvió a publicar el trabajo y los candidatos que solicitaron previamente sería entonces necesario aplicar de nuevo para tener en cuenta. Becca, sin embargo, no tiene que pasar por el proceso de la entrevista que le reasignaron dado que ella ya trabaja para el distrito.
Inez Negro está contratando a los estudiantes para trabajar en el jardín, que pagar un precio por hora, y luego donar la misma tarifa por hora para el programa de jardín en la escuela.
Auckland se le ofreció la oportunidad de que la escuela se haga cargo el 4 de julio en el almuerzo del Club de Leones. Auckland y Shannon junto con el resto del personal de la cocina y el jardín va a hacer un pequeño almuerzo giroscopio en el cuarto de beneficiarse del programa de jardín.
El proyecto de renovación de la escuela está en marcha. La tierra estaba lista la semana pasada. Vinny Kramer, Rande Gruenwald, y Mike Hobi han sido contratados para trabajar con el equipo. Ha habido algunos golpes importantes (agua y eléctrica / Internet), pero el equipo ha manejado las cosas de manera eficiente y eficaz. Las cosas están antes de lo previsto en los que las habitaciones más secundarios se establecen para la demostración y remodelación para ser completado por el comienzo de las clases.

El resto de la reunión se dedicó a la aprobación de la Política 1610 (política de conflicto de intereses), aceptar (con pesar y gran aprecio por sus dones a nuestra escuela y comunidad) las cartas de renuncia de Romo y Mayer, y la aprobación de los contratos.

Las notas tomadas por Sarah Rabel para la PAC.

 

May PAC minutes

Lopez K-12 Parent/Guardian Meeting Minutes

May 11, 2016, 5:30-7:00pm

Trisha Arnott, Jack Tate, Karly Leyde, Sarah Rabel, Anne Auckland, Carolyn McGown, Ellyn Goodrich, Dave Sather, Brian Auckland, Jeanna Carter, Kathy Booth, Jen Ratza, Candace Downey, Jennifer & Ed Sanford, Wendy Stevenson, and Crystal Rovente gathered in the school library to discuss the below topics.

Dave Sather opened the meeting with a secondary schedule update: There are 4 drafts of the secondary schedule that will go to secondary staff on May 13th. The schedule will then be discussed at Tuesday’s collaboration. Once a schedule is chosen, Dave and Jeanna will work out the specifics. The goal is to have the schedule ready for parents/guardians to view by the end of the month.

The aim is to achieve a 7-period schedule, but there are numerous contributing factors involved.

Brian Auckland then shared an update on the school remodel: Brian shared the boards that illustrate some details of the remodel. He also explained the D-form process that the school has applied for. This would offer the school an additional $1.5 million in matching funds to be used (only, due to state regulations) for secondary spaces.

The timeline is still on target: 5 contractors were on site the other week, and 4 of them are submitting bids. Final bids are due next week, and those go to the PDAT committee for review. Once a bid is chosen, the contractor will begin setting up for the construction to start directly after school ends in June.

Heavier construction (e.g., sewer, MPR, & kitchen) will take place during the summer. Classroom remodels will occur in “banks” of approximately 4 classrooms every 2 months. During such times, students and staff will be given other spaces to hold classes in. The new school will open September, 2017.

Questions from parents:

  • How will changes/impacts/schedule of the remodel be communicated to parents/guardians? Brian explained that there will be meetings at the start of the school year as well as emails to communicate any changes.
  • Are the contractors local, or are they all from off-island? Brian noted that the general contractors can, and will, subcontract out to local, on-island professionals and that they are trying to take advantage of local expertise as much as possible.
  • What is the status of the playground remodel? Dave shared that while the Healthy Kids Grant does allow for things like the hoop house to be completed and support for the kitchen remodel, it did not include funding for playground equipment.

Sarah Rabel then opened the discussion of Elementary Intensives and Discovery Days with a brief summary of its history (choice week as a parent-group led and organized activity that then evolved into discovery days offered twice/year. This then shifted to once/year for 5 days, and is now 3 days and connected to elementary intensives.)

Anne Auckland, Ellyn Goodrich, & Karly Leyde offered in February to help with Discovery Days. They came up with several ideas and a way to include student input. However, they were not able to move forward until elementary intensives were set. That did not occur until quite recently, and so the Discovery Day process, as Karly noted, will not be what it could have been. However, there are still several exciting and fun ideas that the group will now pursue.

Parents then expressed their concerns and confusion around the intensive sheet and sign-up process. Comments included:

  • The form was not a clear communication and needs improvement. It was unclear that not all students would be placed in an intensive. It was unclear that if a student did not like the intensive options, they could wait for Discovery Day options. It was unclear that if a student turned their form in asap, that that did not necessarily secure any of their choices. It was difficult for some students to understand why their peers in the same grade were chosen for an intensive but certain students were not despite having forms in before the deadline.
  • Overall fairness is an issue when we get selective about a group. Doing so at this young age impacts student bonding in the future as well.
  • A suggestion is to only hold intensives for 3rd-5th graders and Discovery Days only for K-2nd
  • A request is to track which students are not selected for off-island trips each year so as to ensure that no student is left out continually. (One couple expressed frustration and sadness that their child has not been selected for 3 years in a row).
  • Some of the students who were not placed in an intensive this year felt excluded and hurt.
  • Why is the 5th grade intensive not Islandwood like last year?
  • How many students turned in forms and were told no? Were there K-2nd graders who got to go instead of 3rd-5th graders?
  • If parents knew at the start how much space was limited by, they could have approached it differently.
  • One parent shared their experience as an 8th grader who was an at-risk student and who would have, she felt, gone down a very different path had she been told she wasn’t allowed to go. As it was, there were requirements (attendance, grades, etc) to be able to go on the trip, and she met them. The trip changed her life.
  • This feels like a birthday party that everyone except one child has been invited to. It doesn’t feel fair.
  • In all fairness, there needs to be equity as to all students being allowed to participate and benefit from trips.
  • Intensives are about teachers’ passions, and it’s important to remember that. A teacher’s passion can include wanting to bring younger students on a trip.

Brian then responded to the concerns and questions, owning and apologizing for the lack of communication on the Intensive form. He noted that the intent was an enriching experience for 3rd-5th graders but that teachers requested being able to also take younger students. He also noted that he sought to get the Intensive information out earlier than last year, but by doing so, it did not include the Discovery Day information.

Parents asked how the students going on intensives are selected. Brian replied that staff discusses whether a specific student can handle a 3-day excursion and considers group dynamics and what group of students would most benefit from and succeed in a 3-day excursion. Parents expressed that this felt like discrimination and that there should have been conversations with impacted families.

Parents asked what is causing the limit of the number of students allowed on a given intensive. Brian noted funding, number of staff managing the number of students, and transportation. Parents expressed an eagerness to help support teachers through donations, chaperoning, and transportation.

Brian asked the group how we solve this. Parents noted that selection needs to be fair and that the only way to do that is by grade level. Parents asked for transparency and a redo as well as to communicate directly with parents/guardians and not via students.

The redo solution proposed included:

  • an email to parents/guardians asap explaining that due to the Intensive form being unclear and not having the Discovery Day options, there will be a new, complete form coming out in approximately 2 weeks.
  • The form will have all options and will have clear parameters – if an option can only take X number of students, that will be noted. If an option could take more students but only with parent support, that could be noted.
  • The form will include an opportunity for parents/guardians to offer to help and how they would like to (transportation, financial, chaperoning).

Ellyn Goodrich then shared some exciting possibilities for Discovery Days (that she and others will pursue), noting that community members can specify parameters that would need to be honored:

  • sports
  • science experiments
  • crafts/sewing
  • baking
  • woodworking
  • juggling
  • puppetry
  • archery
  • lego robotics

Jeanna Carter shared DVSAS’ mission statement and that Kristine is wanting to know what parents/guardians want in terms of educational opportunities. Parents noted that a one-day meeting would be much preferred to a multiple-day workshop.

Jeanna also shared that she is available for any questions and need for information on support groups and education on LGBTQ. She expressed that this in a more open society and in our community, parents and children are talking more about sexual identities and are looking for resources.

The meeting adjourned at 7:00pm.

###

López K-12 Padres / Guardianes Acta de la Reunión

11 de mayo de 2016, 5: 30-7: 00 pm

Trisha Arnott, Jack Tate, Karly Leyde, Sarah Rabel, Anne Auckland, Carolyn McGown, Ellyn Goodrich, Dave Sather, Brian Auckland, Jeanna Carter, Kathy Booth, Jen Ratza, Candace Downey, Jennifer & Ed Sanford, Wendy Stevenson, y Crystal Rovente se reunieron en la biblioteca de la escuela para discutir los temas a continuación.

Sather de Dave abrió la reunión con una actualización de programación secundaria: Hay 4 borradores del programa de secundaria que irá al personal secundaria el 13 de mayo. El horario será a continuación se examinará en la colaboración del martes. Una vez que se elige un horario, Dave y Jeanna saldrán bien los detalles. El objetivo es tener el programa listo para los padres / tutores para ver el final del mes.

El objetivo es lograr un horario de 7-periodo, pero hay numerosos factores que contribuyen involucrados.

Brian Auckland compartió una actualización de la remodelación de la escuela: Brian compartió las tablas que ilustran algunos detalles de la remodelación. También explicó el proceso D-forma que la escuela ha solicitado. Esto ofrecería la escuela un adicional de $ 1.5 millones en fondos de contrapartida para ser utilizado (solamente, debido a que las reglamentaciones) para espacios secundarios.

La línea de tiempo es todavía a puerta: 5 contratistas estaban en el lugar de la otra semana, y 4 de ellos son la presentación de ofertas. Las ofertas finales se deben próxima semana, y los que van a la comisión PDAT para su revisión. Una vez que se elige una oferta, el contratista empiece a configurar para la construcción para iniciar directamente después de la escuela termina en junio.

construcción más pesada (por ejemplo, alcantarillado, MPR, y cocina) se llevará a cabo durante el verano. remodela el aula ocurrirán en “bancos” de aproximadamente 4 aulas cada 2 meses. En tales ocasiones, los estudiantes y el personal se darán otros espacios para impartir clases. La nueva escuela se abrirá de septiembre de 2017.

Las preguntas de los padres:

¿Cómo afectarán los cambios / impactos / calendario de la remodelación se comunicarán a los padres / tutores? Brian explicó que habrá reuniones en el inicio del año escolar, así como mensajes de correo electrónico para comunicar cualquier cambio.
Son los contratistas locales, o son todos de fuera de la isla? Brian observó que los contratistas generales pueden, y serán, subcontratar a los profesionales locales, en la isla y que están tratando de tomar ventaja de la experiencia local tanto como sea posible.
¿Cuál es el estado de la remodelación del patio? David compartió que si bien la subvención de Healthy Kids sí permite cosas como la casa del aro para ser completado y el apoyo para la remodelación de la cocina, que no incluía fondos para juegos infantiles.
Sarah Rabel a continuación, se abrió la discusión de los Intensivos de primaria y Discovery Días con un breve resumen de su semana de la historia (elección como padre-grupo llevó y la actividad organizada que luego se convirtió en días de descubrimiento que ofrece dos veces / año. Esto entonces se movió a una vez / año por 5 días, y es ahora 3 días y conectado a los intensivos elementales.)

Anne Auckland, Ellyn Goodrich, y Karly Leyde ofrecieron en febrero para ayudar con Discovery Días. Ellos vinieron con varias ideas y una forma de incluir la participación de los estudiantes. Sin embargo, no fueron capaces de avanzar hasta que se establecieron intensivos elementales. Eso no ocurrió hasta hace muy poco, por lo que el proceso de Día del Descubrimiento, como se ha señalado Karly, no se lo que podría haber sido. Sin embargo, todavía hay varias ideas interesantes y divertidos que el grupo ahora a seguir.

Luego, los padres expresaron su preocupación y confusión en torno a la hoja intensiva y el proceso de inscripción. Los comentarios incluyeron:

La forma no era una comunicación clara y necesita mejoras. No estaba claro que no todos los estudiantes serían colocados en una intensiva. No estaba claro que si un estudiante no le gustaban las opciones intensas, que podrían esperar a que las opciones Día del Descubrimiento. No estaba claro que si un estudiante se convirtió en su forma lo antes posible, que eso no necesariamente seguro cualquiera de sus opciones. Fue difícil para algunos estudiantes a entender por qué sus compañeros en el mismo grado fueron elegidos para un estudiantes intensivos, pero algunos no eran a pesar de tener formas antes de la fecha límite.
equidad global es un problema cuando tenemos selectivo sobre un grupo. Si lo hace, a esta temprana edad impactos unión de los estudiantes en el futuro también.
Una sugerencia es que sólo se mantenga intensivos de grado 3 al 5 y Discovery Días sólo para K-2 de
Una solicitud es para un seguimiento de los estudiantes que no son seleccionados para los viajes fuera de la isla cada año con el fin de garantizar que ningún estudiante se quede fuera continuamente. (Una pareja expresó su frustración y tristeza que su hijo no ha sido seleccionado durante 3 años consecutivos).
Algunos de los estudiantes que no fueron colocados en un uso intensivo de este año se sintieron excluidos y dolor.
¿Por qué el 5º grado intensiva no IslandWood como el año pasado?
¿Cuántos estudiantes se convirtió en formas y se les dijo que no? Hubo K-2do grado que llegaron a ir en lugar de grado 3 al 5?
Si los padres sabían al principio la cantidad de espacio estaba limitado por, podrían haber abordado de manera diferente.
Uno de los padres compartieron su experiencia como estudiante de 8º grado que era un estudiante en riesgo y que tendría, se sentía, bajado un camino muy diferente si hubiera sido dicho que no se le permitió ir. Así las cosas, había requisitos (asistencia, calificaciones, etc.) para poder ir en el viaje, y la manera que se encontraron. El viaje cambió su vida.
Esto se siente como una fiesta de cumpleaños que todos, excepto un niño ha sido invitado a. No se siente justo.
Para ser justos, es necesario que haya equidad como a todos los estudiantes que se les permita participar y beneficiarse de los viajes.
Intensivos son las pasiones de los profesores, y es importante recordar que. La pasión de un profesor puede incluir querer llevar a los estudiantes más jóvenes en un viaje.
Brian continuación, respondió a las inquietudes y preguntas, poseer y pidiendo disculpas por la falta de comunicación en la forma intensiva. Indicó que la intención era una experiencia enriquecedora para los alumnos del 3 al 5, pero que los maestros solicitó poder también llevar a los estudiantes más jóvenes. También señaló que se trató de obtener la información intensiva a cabo antes que el año pasado, pero al hacerlo, que no incluye la información del Descubrimiento.

Los padres se les preguntó cómo se seleccionan los estudiantes que van en los intensivos. Brian respondió que el personal discute si un estudiante específico puede manejar una excursión de 3 días y considera la dinámica de grupo y qué grupo de estudiantes se beneficiarían más de y tener éxito en una excursión de 3 días. Los padres expresaron que esto se sentía como discriminación y que no debería haber sido conversaciones con las familias afectadas.

Los padres preguntaron qué está causando el límite del número de alumnos que pueden introducirse en una intensiva dado. Brian tomó nota de la financiación, el número de personas que gestionan el número de alumnos, y el transporte. Los padres expresaron su deseo de ayudar a los profesores de apoyo a través de donaciones, acompañar, y el transporte.

Brian le pidió al grupo cómo resolvemos esto. Los padres señalaron que la selección tiene que ser justo y que la única manera de hacerlo es por nivel de grado. Los padres pidieron transparencia y un hacer de nuevo, así como para comunicarse directamente con los padres / tutores y no a través de los estudiantes.

La solución de rehacer propuestos incluyen:

un correo electrónico a los padres / tutores que explican lo antes posible que debido a la forma intensiva siendo poco clara y no tener las opciones Día del Descubrimiento, habrá una nueva forma, completa que sale en aproximadamente 2 semanas.
La forma tendrá todas las opciones y tendrá parámetros claros – si es una opción sólo puede tomar un número X de los estudiantes, que se observó. Si una opción podría tomar más estudiantes, pero sólo con el apoyo de los padres, que podrían tenerse en cuenta.
El formulario incluirá una oportunidad para que los padres / tutores que ofrecen para ayudar y cómo les gustaría (transporte, financieros, de compañía).
Ellyn Goodrich compartió algunas posibilidades interesantes para el descubrimiento Días (que ella y otros proseguirá), señalando que miembros de la comunidad pueden especificar los parámetros que deberían ser honrado:

Deportes
experimentos científicos
manualidades / coser
horneando
carpintería
malabares
títeres
tiro al arco
robótica Lego
Jeanna Carter compartió misión DVSAS ‘y que Kristine es querer saber lo que quieren los padres / tutores en términos de oportunidades educativas. Los padres señalaron que una reunión de un día sería muy preferible a un taller de varios días.

Jeanna también compartió que ella está disponible para cualquier pregunta y la necesidad de información sobre grupos de apoyo y educación sobre LGBTQ. Ella expresó que esta en una sociedad más abierta y en nuestra comunidad, los padres y los niños están hablando más acerca de las identidades sexuales y están en busca de recursos.

Se suspende la reunión a las 7:00 pm.

From your School Counselor

An insightful article on parenting our teenagers:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/the-best-way-to-fight-with-a-teenager/?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-2&module=inside-nyt-region&_r=0

Another excellent article, this one on meditation plus running as a treatment for depression:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/meditation-plus-running-as-a-treatment-for-depression/?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Health

 

###

Un artículo profundo sobre la crianza de nuestros adolescentes:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/the-best-way-to-fight-with-a-teenager/?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-2&module=inside-nyt-region&_r=0

Otra excelente artículo, éste en la meditación, además se ejecuta como un tratamiento para la depresión:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/meditation-plus-running-as-a-treatment-for-depression/?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Health